Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS renewal for Committee member

tinkerbell1403

Morning,

Can anyone tell me if I need to register a committee member (who has been in post for many years) for the DBS update service after renewing their DBS check after 3 years? I am still trying to get my head around all of these changes with DBS so want to be 100% sure of the message I am delivering. They have an EY2 in place from when they were originally elected into post.

Thanks in advance

Yes, get them to register on the update service within 19 days of certificate issue date and they'll get a reminder to re-register every year. If they keep their registration up to date each year they won't need to redo the dbs check after 3 years.

From my view 'no' I have two members one whom is CRB one who is police check and he's responsible person. We have had our details updated and confirmation all is ok, I have spoke with Ofsted when DBS first came in as both he and I (manager) are police checks and didn't have to do anything. Also been inspected under DBS and all was ok, obviously all my new ones are DBS and update X

Hmm ok now I'm more confused! I assumed that we were responsible for keeping the DBS up to date. The committee member currently has an old CRB which as good practice we renew every three years so it is now due. OFSTED have not requested the renewal as I say we have always just done this as good practice. So does the committee member not need an updated DBS??

Why isn't anything straightforward?!

Edited by tinkerbell1403

There is no legal requirement to renew the CRB/DBS every 3 years. It can be called good practice but nobody will ask you to do it.

Although, Birmingham City Council tried to make it a condition of receiving the funding, that idea lasted as long as it took for them to deal with the fall out. The condition was removed form the following years conditions.

• Like 1

There is no legal requirement to renew the CRB/DBS every 3 years. It can be called good practice but nobody will ask you to do it.

Although, Birmingham City Council tried to make it a condition of receiving the funding, that idea lasted as long as it took for them to deal with the fall out. The condition was removed form the following years conditions.

So legally we won't need to renew it? Would I be better off registering the member for the update service to check it's still up to date? Sorry if I sound stupid but this is confusing me so much. My committee member is insisting we renew even though it sounds like we don't need to <_<

A DBS is never out of date as far as Ofsted are concerned. Mine is a CRB from 2002 and was perfectly acceptable at our inspection last month.

The DBS can only be registered within 19 days of it being done, so she'd need to do a new one in order to register. But it will cost around £55, the first one for a volunteer is free, others have to be paid for because they're not necessary.

In cases of doubt I usually email Ofsted then keep their reply on file.

Hmm ok now I'm more confused! I assumed that we were responsible for keeping the DBS up to date. The committee member currently has an old CRB which as good practice we renew every three years so it is now due. OFSTED have not requested the renewal as I say we have always just done this as good practice. So does the committee member not need an updated DBS??

Why isn't anything straightforward?!

Is this member registered with Ofsted as being on the committee? Have you carried out any further police checks on them since joining or was it just the one Ofsted did during their registration.

We are responsible for ensuring all staff/volunteers etc are suitable and the committee ensuring that of the manager by undergoing checks such as safer recruitment and DBS checks through any company you choose. The responsibility of checking commitee members lies at the door of Ofsted we can not check them but we must make sure they register and complete the checks with Ofsted.

I think it's in the DBS document from Ofsted that says if the committee member has no break in service they do not have to re register and the current check is valid. It's in one document somewhere.

Watch out for the mines Ofsted keep planting secretly :)

• Like 1

If you have renewed the DBS then they will have to register with the update service. Ironically if you hadn't as Rea quite rightly says without a break in service committee members do not have to re-register and so would not have to register had with the update service!

I read and re-read this until I have confused myself - I hope you know what I'm trying to say!!

Edited by Ancaster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)