Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early implementor areas

Foreveryoung

http://m.wigantoday.net/news/local/wigan-parents-will-be-first-to-recieve-30-hours-of-free-childcare-1-7709430

See if link works!

Wigan- The town has been named as one of eight pilot sites alongside Staffordshire, Swindon, Portsmouth, Northumberland, York, Newham and Hertfordshire, which will benefit from the decision to double the number of free hours of childcare available for three and four-year-olds.

Carnt find official details, but I knew decision was due now do seems feasible that it's true.

Not my area phew !

Well not got a clue how this is going to work as by looks of it we are looking only at children with Sen in the sub 25 areas.

I have a meeting tomorow with goverment advisors but whether that will go ahead now we are only in sub area not main 8 I don't know.

We are only open 22 hours currently can increase to 28 but I'm not yet, this will not stop us from offering above 15hrs.

My issue is children with Sen quite often struggle to attend for 15hours a week let alone any more, I wonder if they will just look locally at Sen provisions in the area first with the money they have.

I'll keep you all posted if we do anything in relation to it ..... Oh gosh here it starts !

• Like 1

Some of you may be interested in this petition

' The pre-election pledge to provide 30 hours “free” childcare is unsustainable unless nurseries are properly funded to provide the high quality childcare the government wants. There is a huge gap between its financial proposals and the real cost to the sector'

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/116917

• Like 2

Some of you may be interested in this petition

' The pre-election pledge to provide 30 hours “free” childcare is unsustainable unless nurseries are properly funded to provide the high quality childcare the government wants. There is a huge gap between its financial proposals and the real cost to the sector'

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/116917

Thank you adding this link - I have signed!

I have signed - but 10,000 signatures??!! I fear this will not be achieved.........still say the best way to get our voices heard is that away day......... we all go on a Summer Trip to Number 10!! : )

• Like 4

Arghhh just seen im in an early innovator area within the sub 25. Let's see what this brings !

Me too foreveryoung! What exactly does that mean???

There are 8 areas who will be able to provide 30 hours from September 2016.. and 25 that will be "gathering information" but will not be offering 30 hours until September 2017 like everybody else..

Ohh and who said it was an option to offer the 30 hours? I am pretty sure if you want to take funded 3/4 year old's it will be for 30 hours per eligible child or a share of along with another setting. What parent would want to take their child to 2 settings?

Quite a few of our children attend both ours and either a childminder or other nursery.

Currently we only open for 22hrs and could at a push increase to 28hrs so for us parents do share care with other settings.

At my meeting other day with goverment advisors it was said more information regarding the sub 25 areas is due next week so hopefully find out more soon about what effects this has, it was felt it's more likely to be a pen pushing excersise by the local council dept to figure different ways and feasibility and so on.

The goverment people listened well, took lots of notes that I'm sure they will take further (yeah right lol but u got a free latte :) !

Would you say that "care sharing" is "best practice"?

This requires excellent communication between settings of course. I understand that is easy to manage.

what about consistency for children though? ie with regards to how the EYFS is delivered in different childcare providers? Different behaviour strategies (if or when required) it is usually hard enough to get parents involved in these consistent strategies never mind another environment to consider?

I don't want to offend anybody who requires to "care share" due to opening limitiations or whatever and i was just wondering if it would be considered "best practice" by Ofsted.

Yes i understand it works and children might enjoy the opportunities within different settings and this could be more stimulating for a child and more enjoyable, meeting even more peers, and adults etc. (just to add some positive points to my question)

• Like 1

I think it completly depends on the child and what is best for them and that is what is best practice to me, wether Ofsted see it as best practice or not is not a question I would ever think about. I've only met a few children over the years who didn't cope well with shared care and this was discussed with parents and yes in 2 cases the parent decided to move things around to help the child, Most other children do very well and I've had many more positives than not, most of ours use childminders and some use nurseries. We have an open dialog with others and fully support the parents in their choice to do this.

As you say they meet more peers and get a more varied outlook and variety of experiences, if they only attend 3 or 6 hours with us I use the other nursery more in terms of informing our development for that child but this can only be done to a certain extent as they can often be different in different settings.

If a setting was to not work with other settings then this is not good for the child or family and this is most definatley where outstanding practice comes to a forefront and the child can suffer. If a setting was to behave in this way then I can see shared care not being a positive experience and somewhat negative experience for the child and family, as we work with lots of shared care children its second nature to us and we embrace it, doing all we can to ensure positive experiences and working together. I can not comment how others feel but for us it really doesn't impose but then again we are so used to it :)

• Like 1

Thank you for explaining and helping me understand how it can work to a child's advantage to care share. It was a question raised at a meeting i attended regarding the 30 hours funding, and something that needed lots of attention to put into practice in our area.

it is good to hear the positives in practice and yes it shouldn't be a question if Ofsted deem it "best practice" if in practice it works well.

i can see Care Sharing being used a lot more when the 30 hours come into force.. yes i do mean FORCE!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)