Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspection!

AliceinWonderland

Thanks Fredbear, must admit, finding it hard not to tell myself off as the inspector said it should have been a higher grade, based on the rest she saw, so kicking myself really. She was happy with basically everything else but found one form not completed properly (typically the only one!) and the signing in and out was not always complete, silly, silly mistakes. But rules are there and must be obeyed. didn't have any questions on FBV but she was hot on safeguarding, questioned nearly all staff on this. Tracked the SEN children which was fine but another childs file was looked at and it wasn't really up to date which means i haven't done my management role properly either, so this didn't help. I was aware that my supervisions were not completely robust enough and that some children's files were not quite up to date and thought this may affect us but was just keeping my fingers crossed. It's the silly forms that's got to me, completely missed them and i'm annoyed with myself. But hey ho! at least it will make us be more thorough with things like that, roll on the next inspection!!

We dont have signing in and out forms, just member of staff marking children in/out on register, nothing was said about that.We had an inspector knock on the door three weeks ago (couldnt get us on the phone to notify!)

Wish we'd had that inspector then!! It's in the EYFS as a requirement to log the hours of attendance, i knew it wasn't right which is why i'm kicking myself for not sorting it.

Out of interest Pebbles123 what form wasn't filled in? I agree with the others..... another inspector could have resulted in a different grade. You know your care of the children is good. That's what matters! There is just TOO much paperwork now.

It was a medicine form where we record what medicine given and when, i'd covered in the room and given the medicine (gaviscon added to a babies bottle) had put ditto marks under the last time it was given and must have been distracted by something and not completed the rest, time etc, i managed to prove by other medicine forms that it was not something that happened regularly so she didn't really count it but it made her want to look at other forms etc like the signing in and out which really wasn't up to scratch.

looking on the more positive side today now i've got my head round it all, and already made some changes for the better. So onwards and upwards ::1a

• Like 2

Thank-you for sharing Pebbles. We are due ours any day and it's always helpful to hear of others experiences.

Good luck with yours when it happens Louby Loo, she was also hot on asking the staff about suitability to work with children and what that meant, i had recently added a bit to supervisions to ask if anything had changed but she suggested making it clearer with a statement describing what made you unsuitable so that it would prove we have asked the right questions and then no one could say they weren't sure what it meant, she asked questions to the very new, very young apprentices of what they would do if they saw me hit a child, luckily i had gone over things like that and they answered well. She asked things like what we do differently for child in baby room with SEN, key worker said we treat her the same as others as she didn't really have any particular needs that were different, she was happy with that. if anything else comes to mind i'll add it later, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask

So disappointing isn't it, we had our inspection 2 weeks ago and have gone from outstanding to needs improvement due to EY2 forms being incorrect. We would have received a good without this oversight. All DBS checks were done but the secretary hadn't got all the EY2's completed in time. the report unfortunately now reads "you are not good because" which Is fine if they had just written due to EY2 forms but the inspector has to include in that summary why you are not outstanding too, so this just adds to the you are not good because paragraph. The staff are gutted, we have been outstanding for our last 3 inspections and although didn't expect it this time, certainly didn't expect what we got.

The inspector only tracked 1 child and looked at 2 files, did not have my up to date SEF & kept referring to us as a nursery (we are a preschool) she kept questioning why we didn't have provision for sleep and said the setting was rather noisy. We are one room with 2-5 year olds, the inspector was very young and wasn't interested in speaking to hardly any staff except myself , didn't check medical lists or signing in and out book infact didn't particularly check a lot except question myself and one other on safeguarding. We did do a joint ob (literacy activity) which she said "wow , cant believe how much these children already know, they will be flying when they leave. However this wasn't noted in the report any where and she barley mentioned our teaching. I had to ask if she wanted to speak to a parent too. It was the worst inspection I have ever been party to.

So basically all in all bring on the next one in 6-12 months, one positive- the parents have been amazing sending Emails showing support for the staff, knowing how disappointed we were. Good luck to you all for yours and hope you don't get the inspector we had! Merry Christmas xx

Imwhite, sorry to hear of your recent inspection and your disappointing outcome. Are your children happy and thriving, are your parents happy and confident in your care/education of their children. Well if the answers yes to both of these that's what counts. Out of interest which area are you in.

Wishing you a great revisit in a few months time.

• Like 2

Just read the rest of this thread and my heart goes out to you both! Have not yet had the pleasure to meet OFSTED but our school is well over due a visit. From reading your comments it seems your children are happy and thriving in your settings - which is our job! Such a shame there is so much paperwork to keep on top of! Hope it didn't spoil your Christmas and you are all having a well deserved rest! X

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about your inspection lmwhite, it's so frustrating isn't it! I'm completely kicking myself now as have found paperwork that proves the planning was better than she was saying, i was just too flustered to think straight at the time or i could have challenged some things. Lack of experience i suppose, but too late now. looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1

Well i've received my copy of the report and i'm actually quite pleased with how it's been written :1b It mentions a lot of strengths and although we have actions for the things like signing in and out, it does seem to make it clear that it was minimal things that held us back from getting the 'good' grade. Overall, now i've had time to think about it all, i'm not as disappointed as i was. I've already made changes that i know will be for the better, i'm now aiming for outstanding next time!

Thank you to you all for your kind words and advice. Happy New Year!

• Like 3