Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas for spending EYPP

zigzag

We are getting EYPP for two of our children. I am really unsure what to spend it on, as far as I can tell one of the children is only getting it because of the home financial situation. The child does not have any additional needs and is not delayed in his development in any way. The other child is under the area senco as she does have some social communication difficulties. We have been offered some phonics training which will really benefit my staff, do you think this is an appropriate use for some of the money (would only be £50) Please help, any ideas for how to spend it appropriately.

I'd say the phonics training would be an excellent use of the funding for the 2nd child but would also benefit others :-)

We have a few with no real 'gap' to narrow, It seems a bit like stereotyping to me :-/ , we've ended up looking at the next steps (but they're where they need to be) and buying things that would support that, for example one doesn't really enjoy getting involved with large group activities but loves music so we bought a new set of sticky kids cd's (which we've been planning to replace for a while)

I think the use of the EYPP for phonic training would be a good use of money. Or look at sending someone on the Elklan training which is also a great course and could help to support child 2.

We used some of ours to support a child with role play resources. Others had left before we got to spend it specifically for them, so we have used that small amount of money for Sen scissors, sensory toys and large books.

• Like 1

It may be worth looking at the case studies on the Foundation years' website, and Early Education also has some ideas for framing your thinking.

The EYPP can be spent on pretty much anything as long as you can show

1. Why you chose it

2. What difference it makes for the children concerned.

If there are no obvious learning needs, it could be used for eg enrichment activities, or quality improvement/staff development perhaps.

So if you decide to go ahead with the phonics, just be thinking why (ie not because it's been offered but because you have identified through supervisions, SEF, training plans etc) that there is a need to develop that area for some staff.

Thank you all for your advice. I am going ahead with the phonics training as my staff all need to be far more confident in this area and I have identified it as a weakness, so this will link back to supervisions and our setting improvement plan. I have been looking at the second child today, and there is a weakness for him in his maths development, so I will purchase some new resources to support this. I am also going to use some of the money to put together simple packs for the parents to borrow to support literacy and maths at home. These will just be simple and cheap things, so low cost but covered by the EYPP. This can also be linked back to a comment, not an action in our Ofsted report.

Thank you all again for the help. :D

• Like 1

I have one child been given this, she is way ahead in everything and requires no extra resources etc. I'm considering asking the parent if they have any thoughts on it.

We have one like this and thought we might access the " Gifted and Talented" course.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)