Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help and advice

Hi All

It has been a while, but here I am again needing some advice.

I am unwell at the moment with an undiagnosed auto immune thing which has meant that after only a few weeks in a new job I am on sick leave. For exactly how long I don't know.

I don't know what to do next as I am coming to realise that I haven't the capacity (or ability) anymore to be able to be a teacher. I cannot do it. Do I try and retire sick and what else can I do to pay the mortgage?

Help :( :unsure:

Hi Kate

You sound really down at the moment and I do hope you can lift your spirits in the coming days and weeks.

Been there done that. Spent a lot of time off sick several years ago. Going part time helped for a while, but then I did get out of teaching and it was the best decision I ever made. I now still work part time but have a lot more flexibility. My health isn't perfect but I can manage it better now.

Yes I did consider taking retirement on grounds of ill health but it wouldn't have covered my mortgage and My stubborn streak wanted it to be my decision when I gave up and not someone else's, or worse, illness.

One thing I did learn was not to make any big decisions whilst off work sick. Are you going through a diagnosis process, in which case I'd probably not make any decision until you know what you are dealing with.once you know, if your occupational health team are any good, they should help you make your role more manageable. Reducing hours may be one way, changing responsibilities may be another.

Second, if you feel up to it, I'd look at your budget, and see what is the absolute minimum you can financially survive on. We had to do that so that we could manage on my part time salary. It meant making some sacrifices, we don't do holidays, run a very small cheap car, grow a lot of our own food etc etc, but our quality of life is much better.

If you feel you are certain that teaching is no longer for you, then what other skills do you have? What about some kind of freelance work, adult education teaching, private tuition? Or do you have other skills or interests.

Finally if you have a diagnosis is there a support group? I found this invaluable for me as everything I was going through, others had gone before, and there was loads of good advice.

Hang on in there, do pm me if you want to chat further.

Mundia xx

• Like 6

Have no words of wisdom as I have no experience of what you are going through. Just wanted to wish you well and say don't forget there always seems to be someone on here who here with good advice and lots of supportive virtual hugs. Wish you well.

Thank you all for your support. I am awaiting a diagnosis and actually thinking that there may not be one. It might well have to be out down to something that cannot be diagnosed. I have begun, with hubby to look at ways of reducing mortgage payments and I am saving what money I can .

I do know, without a doubt that I don't want to return to my current school. Tricky this as have only been there 5 mins. I may well have to look for a part time position even as a teaching assistant rather a teacher. From nanecdotal evidence things like what I have got seem to take years to recover from.

Catch 22 really as I can't get another job until I am well etc.

Meanwhile I do what I can. It's hard to think of what to do each day and I do miss company.

Thanks again for all your support. Off to the neurologist next week!

x