Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30hrs in a Maintained School Nursery question

Most of our local school nurseries work where the 15 hours funding is 5 mornings a week for 3 hours for 3&4yr old funded children only - this is run by a Qualified teacher plus TA/nursery nurse.

Once that 3 hours is up wraparound kicks in for those that need it - this is run by level 3 TA's/nursery nurses.

If the wraparound sessions aren't full with morning children then any child once 3 can attend and pay (or use funding once available)

My question is IF the 30hrs comes in will school nursery HAVE to have a qualified teacher in place all day?

Also I'm thinking that IF the 30hrs comes in then I can imagine most children will take it and therefore there won't be space for the wraparound extra children? - therefore pre-schools/day nurseries/childminders may find that numbers will increase as children will have to stay in our type of setting - what do you think?

Assuming all the children in the nursery have working parents? Is the wraparound available the whole time that school is open?

Oh yes forgot that crucial bit - BOTH parents working, that's where my plan falls over then majority are full time mums - thought pre-school numbers might go up!

Yes wraparound is available in most schools from approx 7:30/8am - 5:30/6pm a few of the schools have started to have a few 2yr olds too, not sure if they are allowed full day or not!

I see the amount of care available outside of term time and school hours as the real problem in the government's 30 hours initiative! Maybe this is the way that we increase our numbers - we all become full day care. As many others have said, we can see the end of the wonderful sessional pre-school / playgroups etc.

• Like 1

I see the amount of care available outside of term time and school hours as the real problem in the government's 30 hours initiative! Maybe this is the way that we increase our numbers - we all become full day care. As many others have said, we can see the end of the wonderful sessional pre-school / playgroups etc.

I'd have had to seriously reduce numbers to go to 30 hours per child. With over 50 children on the register and only around 20 spaces per session (morning and afternoon) we'd be looking at around 30 children out on their ear.

• Like 1

Just a quick look at my families. I think only 8 of 25 would qualify and 4 of those also use childminders because they need longer hours and holiday time care. We are open 27 hours a week and can increase to 30 but the only way we would attract working families is to open during the holidays. Not the way we want to go - yet???? :huh: :(

From what I can gather (which from reading minutes isn't much) its minimum wage and above AND claiming working tax element which doesn't that reduce the more you earn and then eventually stop? so that would make it so high earners would not be eligible. Then there is other criteria such as recently redundant etc

It's all so blinking confusing, I think the drive towards school is massive not only then can a family get 30 hrs and be under EYPP and claim FSM so placing your child in a school is win win for parents and for schools, as PVI charge for lunch or parents provide pack lunch this means an additional extra compared to what school can offer.

I'm not too worried as our local school doesn't have nursery so numbers are high for us but for those with a nursery close to you it's not going to be good I presume.

• Like 2

Nothing mentioned in my latest owners and managers meeting about working tax credits. Only min wage and that so far there has not been a decision about the maximum wage. My lea has also put themselves forward as early implementer for sept 2016 so would have thought they eould mention this??!!

Edited by marley