Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leicestershire funding

MegaMum

For those of you in Leicestershire, based on today's provider update from county, the way they are proposing funding us is at the end of term we will be submitting the hours a child accessed the provision during the term, to include holidays. So my question is, how are we going to be sustainable this way? What if a child is off sick? Likewise, parents know they shouldn't but they do, occassionally take their children out for the day. We don't know til the day whether the children will show up or not, (unless they have gone on holiday) but staff are there waiting to greet them, the heating's on and the rent is paid. How will we afford it, if we don't get the funding when children are off?

County would like our views, please send them to feee@leics.gov.uk. Closing date tomorrow.

There was a thread about this last week but I'm not sure how to attach the link.

What I don't understand is that Pre-school is not mandatory, so I don't see how 'they' can enforce attendance. It's not our fault if parents decide not to bring their child to nursery / pre-school. We have one family with absolutely terrible attendance but we can't give their space away.

It's a mystery to me!

Surely they cannot stop your money for a child being off sick. Do schools get their money stopped.

Perhaps you should bill the parent for the days not attended and get them to take up the dispute with the council. As someone needs to pay.

• Like 1

Well I don't think it should be your responsibility to get money off of parents to cover these losses. If your LEA is so "tight" it wants to claw this money back then they should make this clear in their contracts with parents and it is them who should chase parents for it through the court system if needs be. YOu are providing a service for which you need to be paid (your contract is with the LEA) - if it were a contract between you and a parent you would be able to say they must pay in advance regardless of attendance or not as you are unable to sell that place to another family. We are not drop in centres or creches, or ad hoc babysitters.

• Like 2

This is a disgraceful suggestion and one I find incomprehensible. How dare they suggest that providers foot the bill yet again.

I do hope the people of Leicestershire strongly object to this proposal.

Sorry rant over, but this makes my blood boil.:(:(:(:

Edited by Fredbear

Hi Megamum I got in a twist about this too, but I emailed the LEA with similar questions you ask. They responded by saying although they are changing the way they collect the headcount it wont effect holidays or sickness - we will still get paid as long as the child has attended for 50% of the term!

And breath..............for now!

Their email was obviously very badly worded!!

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It's a joke to even think that you allocate a place for a child and pay wages etc to be in ratio everyday to accommodate said child, and they think it is acceptable to not pay you for this?! Your costs are the same if the child is in or not! They really need to get a grip with how a business as fragile as childcare operates! Sorry rant over!! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)