Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack time

Ok so this will sound very stupid !! We have a rolling snack bar too, all children wash their hands when they want snack and go and sit down at thr snack table. Currently a staff member gloves and aprons up to prepare snack and then when the children come they choose what they want and the staff member serves it. Do your children juat help themselves , do you just monitor to make sure hands are washed or provide serving utensils so they can scoop some fruit out ?

the plates and jugs are on the table ...the children are drilled in hand washing!!!! then they help themselves. We do not really monitor apart from this time of year when we are training them! snacks are prepared in the morning and topped up when needed (2.5 years to 5's)

We serve where possible whole pieces so 'an apple' and so on, if cutting up has to occur then it's in large chunks where possible. We moved away from cutting fruits where we could as to reduce not only waste of cut fruit but also as soon as you cut fruit its sugars are released which changes the state of the sugars so has more of an impact on tooth decay, plus it's easier to re stock in a flash !!! As your off to rescue the milk jug off the child running into the home corner with it ...........

Edited by Foreveryoung

we cut bananas into 2inch pieces and split the skin down the side...but don't remove it the children then take off its 'coat' when they are ready to eat. Apples depends on the pectin reaction so some are better than others .....if we have a bad batch then we just cut fewer and replace more often. It is also a learning curve for the children and we use as an opportunity to teach them about the effects of oxygen!

Apples can be put in water after being cut to stop them going brown.if children are serving themselves they can use a slotted spoon to help themselves or you can put a few out at a time.

Ceramic knives also reduce the browning because there us no'iron' reaction to the knife blade. Apples going brown are effectively rusting before your eyes.

Showing children the apples in water and apples just on a plate brings in some interesting science conversations, but they would soon understand why you have put them in the water!

• Like 2

Will definitely think about that. Massive thank you to everyone who contributed, we did a new style today with numbers at the fruit, the children collecting their choices and washing their things up. The snack was the easiest and calmest it's been in months!

After this thread last week I decided enough was enough with the digger handed boys in our group when it came to raisins. Soooo,we had some shot plastic glasses in the cupboard left over from an activity and we decided to portion out the raisins into those today, all they need do is to pick one up if they want raisins! Watching the children trying to get them out of the glasses was hilarious, however, ----- it did require them to use "pinchy finger", so good for their fine muscle control! :D

• Like 3

After this thread last week I decided enough was enough with the digger handed boys in our group when it came to raisins. Soooo,we had some shot plastic glasses in the cupboard left over from an activity and we decided to portion out the raisins into those today, all they need do is to pick one up if they want raisins! Watching the children trying to get them out of the glasses was hilarious, however, ----- it did require them to use "pinchy finger", so good for their fine muscle control! :D

Love this idea and am so buying some shot glasses at the weekend! Thank you for sharing the idea. Will post some photos from our snack table tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread!!

I've just started my EYTS and have to do a 'change managment' assignment based on the needs of the setting and/or children. We went to Early Excellence last week for some training the focus was very much on continuous provision (no surprises there!) and allowing the children to fully engage in what they are doing and not being dictated to by routines.

So, on our return, the staff had a big discussion about snack time, register time etc....and on the back of my assignment we've decided to trial a rolling snack.

Currently, we tidy all the table tops toys away (we're a packaway playgroup) and sit the children on the stage and take 5 at a time through to wash their hands (toilets are out the back, so has to be supervised) One member of staff is in the kitchen prepping, one is hand washing, one is cleaning tables and bringing through snack and one is crowd managing the children on the stage and sending through more as and when children return. Children sit on their key tables with the idea that the key worker sits with them and it's a lovely social time for a chat. In reality, staff are up and down like yo-yo's serving drink, making sure fruit is shared, cleaning up spills etc.

The layout from finleysmaid looks perfect with cups, bowls and name tags, so you can see who has accessed the snack - thanks for sharing that!

Handwashing - has anyone got a Kiddiwash or what else would Ofsted expect to see? We have a handwashing bowl for painting but couldn't use this method for snack.

How long do you leave snack out for? We usually have snack at 10.30 - would 30/45 minutes be long enough? And did you find that when you first did it, all of your children came over - did you have to turn some away? How did you manage it until the novelty wore off and they accessed it when they wanted?

Sorry, so many questions, but all help and guidance (and reassurance) gratefully received!

RB x

Handwashing - has anyone got a Kiddiwash or what else would Ofsted expect to see? We have a handwashing bowl for painting but couldn't use this method for snack.

How long do you leave snack out for? We usually have snack at 10.30 - would 30/45 minutes be long enough? And did you find that when you first did it, all of your children came over - did you have to turn some away? How did you manage it until the novelty wore off and they accessed it when they wanted

RB x

We use kiddiwash small one, it's great ! Tap broke once but one quick call and two new ones sent out. It needs Milton in it regularly as it can go yucky quickly. Children from 2yrs access the wash system with no trouble (except forgetting to turn it off lol)

We have a table with kiddiwash on next to it paper towels, pump soap, bin. On the side of the table is a tray with deepish sides for milk and water jug so if there's a spillage it is contained.

On our table we have the two options of snack, and we hang on radiator next to snack our registration board to which children put on their pics as they arrive then take them off as they access snack. If it's empty staff ask children who havnt accessed if they wish to do so and how it keeps them healthy etc, with 10 mins to go before closure all the non accessed children are asked again. We have it open for around an hour.

At first yes children came straight away, but this lends itself to taking turns, working out how many children can access snack if only 2 chairs free and so on. Quite often if there's a group of three children yet only 2 chairs they decide to wait- the language between them is great!

It calms down quick and becomes more of a steady flow, you do though get to know quickly which children are first every day and start off your radar!!!

Yes some take extra and some try and occassionlu manage more than one visit but in all great honesty does it really matter! That child who does knows they are usually chancing it and again watching the learning that happens as they make up a fib is great. I love seeing a cheeky child trying their luck and the things they say does make me chuckle.

We use the handwaah also for lunch club x

My Waffle is now ending x

• Like 2

At first they will all want to rush to be first, but once used to it they will settle into a routine of knowing how it works..

We had children put their name used for self registration on the table by an empty chair before washing hands, ensuring that there was space for them when they were back. (Lucky to have toilets suitable for free-flow so hand washing was easy)When finished the name was put in a box, those left on self registration board we knew had not had snack.

Time was varied.. we started at 10.15 and continued until all had accessed it. if there was space at the table we may ask xxx if they wanted snack.. most times they did.. we also ensure any slow eaters or those that took a long time were in the first group to sit , meant they could stay as long as they needed. We found not all wanted snack so gave them 2 offers and a warning that we were tidying away .. plenty of chance to join and not complain they had not had any <_< always one!

We had an adult there for the social and chat side and with all at hand worked for us.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so we've started and now I feel so down hearted about the whole blooming process! Staff are judging the whole thing based on three sessions so far this week but don't seem to realise the impact the old way was having and if they bothered to actually sit and talk to the children in key groups, we might never have had to change in first place!

Next question - what snack do you provide? I think ours is way too complicated, which is going to add to the stress and management of the whole thing.

Currently, we offer fruit every morning PLUS something else - breadsticks, cheese and biscuits, brioche rolls, crumpets, rice cakes.... When it's fruit on it's own, the children happily cut it and served themselves but then some peeled a banana and ate the whole thing whereas when it was already prepped they may only have had two or three slices. How do you manage this?

With the number thing for how many pieces of something you can have, how is that equality of opportunity if a child doesn't like banana and only has 3 pieces of banana and 3 pieces of orange as their 'allocation'? Are they allowed bonus orange. Sorry for the stupid questions, but this is what the staff are asking me.

Still very early days, so staff still having to supervise which they are complaining about, but forgetting that they were in the kitchen for an hour prepping and washing up after so surely an hour spent with the children is better? No?

Reassure me that the children settle into a routine and that it will be okay?!

RB x

yes the really do settle and get used to a new routine, like all things it takes time.. found it harder for the staff than the children..

We used to have a staff member sit at the table and help with the prep and everything there with the children, we had fruit and a carbohydrate of some sort.. I know a lot of our children did come with insufficient breakfast, some had none so we kept the carb element. may depend on the children if you feel you would like to change this..

The staff member could then help with portion control, and social aspect but we did find they could manage it all alone once in the routine.. beginning of term with lots of new children was always a nightmare.. but with staff support they all got there..

We did not allocate set amounts per child, but allowed them to choose from the days choice and amount varied per child.. tended to even out . Bananas we cut into chunks so no one had a chance at picking a whole one..but is it a cost issue or you feel it is too much, what is the reason for restricting the amount they can eat?

I know some groups have bowls with the fruits in them for children to choose a bowl, doing that gives portion control and choice as you can vary the contents of each one.

Other option we contemplated was parents to provide snack for their child, but wanted something more social so asked parents to provide the fruit and had a bowl on the welcome table where parents put the this allowed all to participate to the budget they could afford.. we had a lot of low income families . We topped up with a bag of apples if needed. Parents also provided the carb element , we had a list of what we would like and they supplied, we always had a back up for the times when we ran out or had insufficient from the parents.

We did not allocate set amounts per child, but allowed them to choose from the days choice and amount varied per child.. tended to even out . Bananas we cut into chunks so no one had a chance at picking a whole one..but is it a cost issue or you feel it is too much, what is the reason for restricting the amount they can eat?

Feedback from yesterday was that the last child was left with a couple of slices of kiwi, so we need to make sure that we have 'back up' fruit prepped in the fridge. Staff are concerned about waste so don't want to cut up a lot. Would you prepare it at the table as and when it was required then?

I don't think it's about restricting what they eat, it was if they all ate a whole banana or whole pear (as happened on Wednesday) that would be unsustainable for 20+ children every day. Cost isn't really an issue, but it's being compared to what they are 'used to' and now what potentially they are being 'allowed' to have. It is just a snack at the end of the day.

I think it will self-regulate eventually -we've had full cups of water and milk so far and already children have commented to have a little at first, so they do get it.

Thanks for the reassurance, as ever.

RB x

We prepared fruit at the table.. and they do try to have huge amounts to begin with.. takes a while to realise that it will happen everyday and get into a routine..

Having someone at the table can help with that..or maybe include a few pictures of what you feel is a suitable portion for snack.. we had that with some EAL children to help with the initial language barriers - helped with others too, lot of language can be used around the pictures at the table..I took pictures and laminated them..

Full cups was always an issue, we found some cups with a 'line' on them in Poundland one year.. a real bonus 4 cups, stable flat bottom and a line at a suitable portion size.. not seen them for a while though..could use a picture for that too though to give idea of little and have seconds,

it will get there.. in time..

Now I think about it we did at one time have named placemats for all the children- laminated A4 card with pictures on of the portion sizes, they could match the fruit to the picture..each child had one with their name on and we spray cleaned them every day so they were used like plates.. easy make once was set up and not too costly.

Edited by Inge

Hi All,

In our setting ( pack away , 3 hours mornings only ) We used to provide snacks, but while most would eat one of the choices, some would not eat anything, and I was concerned that they were having nothing at all to eat all morning. Added to this, as a small setting with 4 staff to 24 children, being on snack duty would tie one member of staff up for alot of the morning. We decided to ask the parents to bring in individual "healthy" snacks for their children.

The children now bring a small named snack box, with either fruit , cheese and breadsticks, raisins, yoghurts ...some even bring a little salad. Parents are happy as they can see exactly what their child has had to eat that morning, and the children love to chat about what they have brought so its a real conversation boost.

As with most of you, they collect their names when there is a space at the table, put their name where they will sit, wash hands then collect their snack box from the trolly. When finished, put it back on the trolley and run off to play. We provide milk or water during snack time..

This works well for us, and has taken snack time down to 40 mins, which is a bonus. :)

We do generally whole fruits so an apple and a bread stick or cracker, we found the amount of waste due to not being eaten was nothing in comparison to how much we go through now so we save in the long run.

It also prepares for school as they have whole fruits at our main feeder school.

We say pour a little and go back for more.

It needs hardly any staffing now as its all well embedded, up to 35 children access it in any one session.

If someone pinches more than they should (do I care!!! No) i just point out they have taken too much etc and it becomes part of their learning.

• 4 weeks later...

We have group snack - they line up , take a plate, count how many pieces they need- then find their name card at sit at the table . Table had jug of milk and water - with kitchen roll (!)- they pour their own drinks

We have 1 adult at each table - chatting, eating, helping etc - I adult at the snack table helping to count the snack , and another adult who is the 'runner'

When finished- they take their cups and plates up - cups go in dirty cup bowl , any food goes in recycling bin -plates stacked in dishwasher rack ( out on the table )

Sounds a 'bit much' written down - but we find it works well - they all help each other after a while too

I have just recently started at a pack away setting this past month and one of the first changes I have made was snack time. I am a great believer in independence and if I can provide them with the right tools for the purpose, model what to do and give them the go ahead then they will be fine. We now use a trolley, play is not disturbed and we open our 'Snack Cafe' for about an hour each day, depending on the children, we don't prepare anything unless it's a bit too difficult. On the trolley they will find plates, cups and snack for them to chop up/spread butter on etc, they then pour their own drinks at the table (milk or water). At the bottom of the trolley we have a washing up bowl for dirty pots and a food bin for any food scraps. We spent about two weeks modelling snack, have very little waste and the children are really showing great skill and independence. An adult is around but not necessarily hovering over. It works well for us and it;s well embedded now. Parent help have given some great feedback on snack too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)