Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Required Policies

hopeytg

Is there a definitive list of the policies required by Ofsted? I have searched the forum but can't find a definitive answer - also searched on line and found a company who claims to supply the required policies but their list includes Behaviour Policy which our latest inspector told us we didn't need. We currently have in excess of 25 which ridiculous as staff can't possibly be expected to know inside out.

EYFS Statutory Framework 2014 actually only mentions 3 Policies - Safeguarding ( including managing allegations against staff, use of mobile phones and cameras), Equality and Administering Medicines. Amazing really! Obviously you need more than that to comply with other legislation and to back up procedures for day to day running. I may be wrong - that was from a quick scan through the document.

Edited by lsp

their list includes Behaviour Policy which our latest inspector told us we didn't need.

This sort of statement really annoys me ....OFSTED have NO right to tell you what you need and don't need they are there to ensure the effectiveness and safety of what you do. If you want to have 50 policies then that's up to you....not them! :angry:

We use the PSLA ones because I know they have been checked by a group of lawyers and should pass muster in a court of law (which lets face it is often when they come in to practice!). They are always kept for reference ....so the staff don't need to remember them word for word...they would go and re-read if they needed to surely????

They are also there for the benefit of or advice to my parents....which means they need to cover a variety of options......the complaints policy is the one we use the most. Why would you not have a behaviour policy? remembering that it covers the behaviour of everybody, including parents!!!!

• Like 7

We also use the PSLA policies as a starting point. Picking out which are relevant and amending as necessary. As you said FM, we can have as many or as few policies as we choose, as long as we meet any legal requirements. I think that policies should reflect your settings ethos and working practice. It's your 'instruction manual', your terms and conditions. It should provide protection for all involved -children, staff, parents, committee, owners and visitors.

• Like 4

This sort of statement really annoys me ....OFSTED have NO right to tell you what you need and don't need they are there to ensure the effectiveness and safety of what you do. If you want to have 50 policies then that's up to you....not them! :angry:

We use the PSLA ones because I know they have been checked by a group of lawyers and should pass muster in a court of law (which lets face it is often when they come in to practice!). They are always kept for reference ....so the staff don't need to remember them word for word...they would go and re-read if they needed to surely????

They are also there for the benefit of or advice to my parents....which means they need to cover a variety of options......the complaints policy is the one we use the most. Why would you not have a behaviour policy? remembering that it covers the behaviour of everybody, including parents!!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself! :1b

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)