Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mark making in maths area

We have a new maths area with an open shelving unit and lots of lovely open ended resources for the children to explore - weighing scales, compare bears, sorting 'things', number cards etc. The children are absolutely loving spending time in this area and we have got some great observations and language out of it so far.

I've also got some boys in my key group who are going to school in September who are reluctant mark makers and I thought that this would be the perfect area to exploit and get the two things together. However....I'm having a block as to how to do this!

Apart from the obvious clipboards and pencils, how else could I get mark making into the area?

Thanks!

RB x

measuring tapes such as builders use, lengths of wood to measure or wooden blocks,

Lucky you Running Bunny, sounds fab!

following on from Panders ideas....measuring/drawing around one another, or theirs and others feet...a bit of a shoe measuring workshop - with them in charge of course! Opps to practice numerals eg size of feet measured in cubes or compare bears!

could you put in a photo - would love to see it as may give me some inspiration when rearranging the room - any other photos of areas of rooms also be appreciated - think sometimes i get a bit stale on what i do.

• Like 2

We have lots of tallying sheets - which they LOVE - literally 2 columns with 2 different animals/foods/toys etc and they go around asking who likes which one, making a mark in the appropriate column.

Offer whiteboards and pens.

Green Hippo x

• Like 3

laminate a few cards with basic shapes on, leave a space for them to draw other shapes they find not on their sheet, they can go off round the room or outside, and make a mark against each shape as they find them, they can come together and count their marks, talk about which shape they found most of, who found most etc..

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

could you put in a photo - would love to see it as may give me some inspiration when rearranging the room - any other photos of areas of rooms also be appreciated - think sometimes i get a bit stale on what i do.

Blondie,

I struggle with photos as we aren't allowed our phones during work hours and I'm always dashing off to pick up my children as soon as we finish (sounds like a cop out, but I really would share if I could!)

If you Google early years maths and then click on the images rather than web search, you'll see the open shelving I'm on about.

We have different clear boxes with things in, baskets and serving trays with different compartments for sorting.

The table we use currently has an oil cloth on it, but it keeps slipping, so we are going to put some numbers and a number line on the table and tackyback it, so the children can use that for counting and sorting too.

Thanks for your suggestions so far - just remembered I acquired some Ikea tape measures a while ago....

• Like 1

I have found that a few of our competitive boys respond well to scoring skittles games etc, we use a lot of clip boards, we also tally cars going past the front of the school lol they like to win and often cheat lol

And my lot (2yr olds) use skittles to hit each other on the head!!!

• Like 7

I like the tally ideas - we have a busy (or what you could call busy in rural Yorkshire!) crossroads outside our building, so that would be fun to tally the cars. Thanks!!

We've got whiteboards (somewhere!) so I'll add them too.

Ta x

I like the tally ideas - we have a busy (or what you could call busy in rural Yorkshire!) crossroads outside our building, so that would be fun to tally the cars. Thanks!!

We've got whiteboards (somewhere!) so I'll add them too.

Ta x

Running Bunny, this is the survey we use, we do get quite an assortment of vehicles going past our door though. It is a post-19782-0-11409500-1431442962_thumb.jpg resource from Nursery World many years ago.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)