Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice please

Sorry this is going to be vague as I can not say much.

I have a staff member whos suitability has been brought into question by another agency (it's not a LADO issue or anything that falls into that remit) I had a meeting with member and went through it all, I have now knowing everything made the decision that it's not an impact on work etc my problem lies with fact that my head of committee board can not hold their own water and I'm always cautious In what information I pass on! plus they know in a personal round a bout way the person in question.

Would it be ok for me to say what I've told you lot and that's it? Therefore they are aware but don't hold any sensitive information. they are the registered person and I understand that but I'm trying to get this balance right for everyone, yes I could tell them it's highly confidential and read riot act but I know it will still get discussed with close family members. x

Ooo, thats tricky!

As Chair, I'd want to know and possibly should know of anything that might impact the group, but...

...as Chair I also keep things from people if I know it wont be confidential the same as I did when I was playleader ;)

Also as Chair, I am the official employer of the staff. I have taken the manager on and deem that person to be suitable to manage staff, so I dont need to know every single little thing. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I know Rea that's my issue! but my chair is no way as clued up as you and the information I hold is very sensitive and the details of which will not be held on file either just an outline. I'm thinking aslong as I make them aware and go through how I came to the decision it may cover it?

I really need to protect everyone and yet follow all guidelines, can you be my chair please lol my chair doesn't do anything really its all down to me it's like running my own place. I Have ensured all safeguarding lines have been exhausted and its purely a decision to be made by the setting alone no other agency's want to or will get involved if that makes sense x

I've not got long to stand at these crossroads going to have to choose one way or another arghhhhhh x

If it isnt going to impact on the children in any way at all and you are happy with everything you've heard, I'd write it up, put it in her confidential file and carry on.

I took on a member of staff after been told something which I never passed onto anyone else. She has since told people but it was never going to be an issue for our playgroup in any way at all. Go with your professional judgement, write a note for the file stating why you havent shared it with the chair and carry on.

I was going to suggest you get advice from another organisation but if it isnt a safeguarding issue I'm not sure what they could tell you.

Many years ago I had to speak to LawCall regarding a domestic abuse allegation. The child's dad wasn't on the birth certificate so I was told I couldn't tell his solicitor anything, but that meant mom would be able to go to court and tell a lie, one which I had evidence against, so I told.

I ignored LawCall, I wrote my reasons and stuck it in the file. I never heard another thing about it. Sometime you have to remember common sense existed for years before regulations arrived. :1b

If it's not relevant to tell the committee chair than, keep it to yourself as Manager. But is there any chance that it could all blow up / cause a issue later on or when your not there.

I sure most women gossip but actually if need to they can keep it to themselves. Although the difference with a voluntary list is that your not in risk of losing a paid job if you break confidentially and I believe this needs to be taken into consideration.

Those only time we called lawcall, they gave us the wrong information.

I have a member of staff, that was taken on before my time she had issues that needed to be 'looked into' at the time this was written up by the then manager & signed by the staff member.

When I was taken on as manager I was made aware of it by the parting manager who said nothing had ever happened and it had never been discussed with any other staff, or committee.

I acknowledged to the staff member that I had been made aware but nothing has ever been discussed, nor has it affected her work.

I was Chair of the pre-school before I became staff and I was never made aware of the 'issue' and don't think I should've been.

I would write up whatever it is, write all the actions you've taken then put it in her confidential file.

Thanks all :) appreciate your opinons, it's made me think I've got it right in my mind In what to do. It's so hard when I fully respect confidentiality and I could loose my job if I don't but then someone above me doesnt and it makes it hard to work in unison. I've had to address it a few times and keep him rained in at meetings pritty much telling him to shut up (it's not only the kids we manage lol)

Thank you

I don't know if this would help, and I know you have clearly stated this isn't a Safeguarding issue. But I did have a safeguarding issue and although there was no impact to my setting and the issue was in relation to something private and everybody involved acknowledged this, however I was told I could not share this with the committee, not even the chair, they had no right to know. I argued to share as the situation was complex and may have needed LAWCALL and I know from experience that they don't speak to me, and that I was need to let someone go which would normally be a role of committee and so on. Eventually it was agreed that I could tell a few carefully chosen people to support me.

I know this isn't like your situation however if there are some circumstances where even in a safeguarding context you cant share then I would argue how much more so in what you have stated on here. There are some things that are just not anybody else's business. it doesn't impact on children so there should be no worry. Otherwise how can staff trust you? and they need to so that when they really need to speak they know they can. I am not saying I am right :P:o but it would I think be what I would do :ph34r::ph34r:. You committee should I hope trust you and your judgement

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)