Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managers and Key Children

Hi All,

I am the manager of a village preschool and currently have 6 key children. As you can all understand being a manager has a lot of responsibility and a heavy work load.

Do any other managers on here have key children?

Do you know if their are any guidelines saying weather a manager should or should not have key children?

Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

There are no written guidelines

I do not key work, I found I could not do both well, so I have not key worked for about 5 yrs. I do get involved with my staffs planning and I work in the hall other than the 1 day a week I am covered so I can paperwork in peace somewhere. I do know the children in my setting

I own my own setting which is quite small - up to 20 children, I key work as well as doing all the administration. Yes it is darned hard work sometimes. Currently I have 3 key children, but in the past I have had up to 6/7 I wouldn't recommend it, it just came about by circumstances. I am happy with 4 or 5 however.

I do manage the pre-school I work at doing all the administrative side of things, role model playing with the kids as well as acting as a key person for the 40 to 60 months age range. At times it can be challenging especially when I have to mentor staff as well as students on placement. I must admit though that I enjoy the challenge as It helps to boost my confidence.

Hi

I am a manager of a nursery setting that currently has 54 children daily, I don't have a key group but do attend all room planning meeting to keep on track with the children's learning as well as submitting our data. There is no way I would be able to due to all the other endless work us managers have to do!!!!

i used to have key children until sept 2012 and with all the other paperwork/demands i felt sometimes i wasn't giving my key children the input / support they deserved so since then i haven't had any key children (except for a boy with sen who would work really well with me rather than anyone else) I do do obs on children in the setting for other staff when i am in ratio (or just out to play lol) using their next steps for guidance. Must admit i wouldn't like to go back to having key children now I just don't have the time for it with next steps and planning, charting progress etc.,

• Like 1

Yes, I was Manager with a dozen or so key children. My replacement is the same. There's no way that other staff could cope with additional key children. When there are 4 staff and over 50 children, it's not an option

yes same as cait really have 54 children and five staff .....lots of sen so have tried to re-dress the balance a bit by taking some of the strain!.....Looked round at one point this morning to find 5 children with SEN around me.....began to wonder if i'm running a special needs school :blink: xD (all of us have eal children with 10 languages spoken it's inevitable !)

I am manager and have 5 key children at present, although we are not full. My staff all work either one or 2 days out of the 4 we are open, and one has no key children as she is not qualified and was not comfortable to take on the workload. So I have no choice really, even though my workload is heavy. I would change it if I could. I have just taken on a new deputy who is the only other person working all 4 days, and she is now SENCo, so I am hoping this will help. I do all my admin at home.