Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Encouraging healthy eating to include a display

hi we have a lot of unhealthy lunch boxes and I wanted to try and help the children to develop an awareness of some kind of healthy eating. I know this can be a touchy subject for some parents and wondered if anyone could offer any ideas. I had thought if I made a display with the children in the hall way it may have a subconscious effect :blink: ?!? Its such a big area I thought about a 5-a-day or healthy meals and snacks?

• Like 1

This is my lunch box and in it I put - a sandwich or wrap to eat followed by a yoghurt and fruit too then I can have a treat :)

Children Could take pictures of their lunch boxes and then use magazines to cut out pictures of healthy options , talk about what they like to eat and why it is good using their words

Not children things, but we adopted local schools policy so it was a seamless transition and also produced a leaflet with healthy lunch box ideas too to give support . I'm by far not a fantastic cook or know what's good or not to an indepth level but I find most of our parents need teaching as I can see they try but struggle some just do it blatantly but an increasing number are just unaware. x

Foodafactoflife.org.uk has some great promotional downloads including the eatwell plate poster. we have used these laminated for lunch mats and display them on parents board. Still have numerous jam sandwichs though.....:(

I did a poster for our lobby, 'these things are good for me'. I drew round a child and the children painted it. Then I got promotional magazines from Tesco, sainsburys etc and we cut out the pictures after discussion. The children remembered it too, and held up things from their lunch box to say 'this is good for me'. It might have made them catering nightmares at home though, haha

• Like 1

Following on from Cait..

we once made it a nightmare for parents by using the wrappers and pictures of what was in lunch boxes to make a display showing processed and unprocessed foods...

foods we can eat a lot of or daily/ those we should only have occasionally or as a treat.

We did not want to label anything as good or bad as it is the quantity and frequency that made the foods ones to limit.

we did one for lunch boxes over a week.. and also our snack time had one...

our parents did notice and lunch boxes changed .. Children became very aware of what was put in them and some parents said the children were now asking for the less processed items .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)