Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question?

finleysmaid

ok here goes! i have a family who have some social services involvement at present. There was a vague disclosure which was given by older sibling and repeated by younger one (who's with us) ....this was some weeks ago (we have chased up etc etc)

so today social worker came to ask the little one about incident

He is 3 and has some verbal delay .i asked to be in the room and was told no. I was really uncomfortable about this...the ss worker obviously thought i was a bit wierd.

So what would you have done?

I've decided over the years if something makes me feel uncomfortable I'l say something to whoever it needs saying to, no matter who they are.

Could you speak to her boss, ask if that was current practice just to check she did it right? The boss might not be aware she does this.

We had a peri worker from the PLA many years ago who took the child she was there to support from the room and kicked the wedge way from the door letting it close. When I followed her and put the wedge back she smiled and said 'sorry about that, but it just gets to you sometimes'. I was never 100% sure of her intention but I watched her from then on. What I regret is not telling her boss because over the years I heard her name mentioned again with regards to making people feel uncomfortable.

Hope everything turns out well :1b

• Like 1

I think I would have insisted. Or at least questioned why I couldn't go in. After all, this person is a stranger to the child, who will need reassurance that it is ok to be with them. What message does it send to a child! When our SS lady came to talk to one of ours, she did it in the same room, albeit at a distance in a quieter corner, so the child still had eye contact with me if she needed it.

• Like 1

Yes thanks ladies....you've backed up my own thoughts. Think i will email her boss today.

She told me she had met the child before....she hadn't

I did question it (and actually insisted but was told she HAD to see them alone it was part of the assessment)

I asked to sit in the office (an adjoining room) she laughed at me...what are you worried about she said....i told her that we have a no person is left with a child alone policy....what even social services she said !

She then said i was the only person who had ever questioned this and that she does it at school all the time!!!! ...this did not make me feel any better! :angry:

I eventually left but hovered outside the door (opaque glass) ...the 'interview lasted about 1 minute before the child appeared at the door wanting to come out....what a surprise!

the issue with social care workers is that they have no training in child development so how do they know if a child is being effected by circumstances ...i had a long chat with her afterwards and had to explain what i would expect a child of that age to do/say etc very frustrating!

Definitely tell!

The fact she thought 'even social services' is ridiculous. That George woman in Portsmouth was qualified and checked too. What would Ofsteds position be on leaving a child alone with someone they nor you know?

Some people get too big for their boots!

For what it's worth - 'my ghast is well and truly flabbered' - what on earth was she thinking of - definitely take this further - wholly inappropriate behaviour in my humble........

the more i think about it the more i agree... ;)

glad we're all sensible human beans on here :o

• Like 1

This has promoted me to think about police interviews/questioning of minors - do they not require another adult to be present? I too would feel very uncomfortable if told the same. I definitely think that this does need clarification.

Please do let us know the outcome to help us all

This has promoted me to think about police interviews/questioning of minors - do they not require another adult to be present? I too would feel very uncomfortable if told the same. I definitely think that this does need clarification.

Please do let us know the outcome to help us all

will do apple (urmm just remind me if i forget!!!!)

i had this situation a few years ago and the social worker insisted that i come with the child - she said i don't know the child very well -she knows you and you know her so she will feel more comfortable with you there.

the only restriction was that i didn't talk during her time with the child.

i wouldn't have been happy letting the child go with the social worker on her own, in fact i probably would have questioned it too.

ok spoke to social workers boss today who was very understanding...he did however say that it was correct that the child should be seen on their own.....BUT in this circumstance he realised that as the social worker has no relationship with this child that it might have been inappropriate .

I also pointed out that i felt it was wrong that as a professional she had laughed at me when i questioned the situation....there were another couple of things which i can't discuss on here but all in all he agreed that he would have a word with her......apparently her last week in this borough......so guess we will have to start again next year! flippin typical!

Anyway feel i have had my say....!

• Like 1