Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children who bite! Help!

Hi, I wondered if there was anyone willing to share any advice on what to do with a child who constantly bites other children? We shadow the child on a one to one basis as much as possible but you cannot keep your eye constantly on that child all of the time, this is a) Not fair on the other children in the room and b) it isn't always possible. We have had discussions with both parents (they are separated, but both care for the child) who seem to 'laugh it off' in a way.....please help, if you have any advice on how to work with the child and their parents to stop him biting whilst here.

Thanks!!! :blink:

ummmm its tricky, we have currently 3 boys who are all known to resort to biting when not getting their own way, is it a turn taking issue? or is there some sort of sensory element to their behavior? do they seem to target the same child or is it random? does the child bite at home? as for parents laughing it off, I wonder how they would feel if it was their child getting bitten.....Its hard enough dealing with irate parents of the victim and a mortified and utterly shocked parent of the biter but not sure how I would handle a parent who seeming did not seem that bothered! let us know how you get on. x

The laughing parent could be also be embarrased and unsure how to procede. You do need to try and identify the trigger to then work to avoid that reaction from the child. Can the child verbalise his needs/ frustration as biting is often an immediate response?

• Like 1

We have a new little boy who is biting loads at home and not just people but furniture and cupboards etc.. He has not thank goodness bitten anybody at school. Mum was at her wits end after trying many different things. So I suggested getting a teething ring for him and explaining that he is only allowed to bit that. She in fact got a rag doll, but it has worked really well.

• Like 2

We also have a biter this term, haven't had one for ages.

I had a long chat with mum who is very grateful for our support.

They are also biting at home.

I also suggested a chewy type sensory toy.

We are shadowing and giving lots of praise for positive behaviours.

The parent of the victim was so upset too, so equal support including our procedures for this type of behaviour and lots of reassurance.

I am told when I was little I bit my brother, I only did it the once as apparently my dad bit me back.( well I never).

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you should follow my dad's method though.:)

I have a great little booklet that tells a story about 'A Biter'. If. you pm me I can send it to you. sorry I dont know how to put it on here.

oh here you go I have a link..its A social story called The Mouth

www.ymcaoc.org/downloads/youth_development/inclusion/Biting_Social_story

Edited by Rafa

trying to find out why is important then you can be aware of when it is likely to occur.Have you done an abc chart? what age is this child?

We also have a biter at the moment who bit me and then kicked me in the face the other day....witnessed by his Mum ...who didn't even have the decency to apologise which i was more annoyed about!!!

trying to find out why is important then you can be aware of when it is likely to occur.Have you done an abc chart? what age is this child?

We also have a biter at the moment who bit me and then kicked me in the face the other day....witnessed by his Mum ...who didn't even have the decency to apologise which i was more annoyed about!!!

Oh my goodness Finleysmaid its bad enough you are on the receiving end of that behaviour, but it beggars belief that the parent did not apologise!!

no i wasn't best impressed either...in fact she asked me if he could do full days at the same time to which my reply was certainly not.....we need to sort out his behaviour first...i can't possibly support him until he has stopped biting. ......really NOT the reply i would normally have given but she caught me just at the wrong moment :o

Going through this at the moment but with a little boy of 18mths old. He can attempt to bite more than 10 times in 1 day - we catch most of them but, obviously with this amount of attempts, one always gets it's target! There isn't a particular 'trigger' - it can be frustration, excitement or just because he feels like it! Most of the other parents understand but 2 are starting to get annoyed with us. I have tried to explain how little he is and how traditional 'time out' and other methods are beyond his understanding. I feel for mum too as she is trying really hard at home too and having no success...