Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help. Is water malleable?

If you look up the definition of malleable it is something that can be shaped, stretched or or changed by pressure and without breaking or cracking. i wouldn't consider ice cubes to be a malleable material by that definition.

Edited by JacquieL
  • Like 2

I agree with Jacquie. Malleable materials are those that children can explore by changing their shape through quite intense physical interaction. Ice doesn't fit the bill for me at all.

I can see why you want something more imaginative than dough. Baker Ross do some lovely wax that's lovely to mould and squish when it's around body temperature and very easy to make into candles then squish up and make into all sorts of different candles because it feels so nice to work with.

There are lots of other ideas on this old thread from 2006

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/5365-malleable-materials/

I agree with Jacquie. Malleable materials are those that children can explore by changing their shape through quite intense physical interaction. Ice doesn't fit the bill for me at all.

I can see why you want something more imaginative than dough. Baker Ross do some lovely wax that's lovely to mould and squish when it's around body temperature and very easy to make into candles then squish up and make into all sorts of different candles because it feels so nice to work with.

There are lots of other ideas on this old thread from 2006

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/5365-malleable-materials/

I enjoyed reading through that Upsy Daisy, a little wander down memory lane - and still so relevant for today. Lovely to see some posts from members who have either left the Forum or don't contribute as many posts any longer too.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have over the years tried out so many "home made" recipes for malleable substances but they never work out as well as I hoped they would, nothing that has really made me say WoW! I've made our own moon dough, moon sand, sand mousse, and gak! the best things have probably been gloop saop flakes and warm water and cornflour and water. I did get excited about gak, but that never really did what I thought it might, but we will keep on making it until the hairy basil seeds run out!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

2 cups of baking soda to 1/4 cup of water , you can add colour and glitter if required and a little glycerine , knead and then stick in freezer to make cold , as an extension you can mould into snowballs and make them explode with pipettes and vinegar !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)