Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whats on your walls?

Last year each child had their own individual display square, where they could choose what to put up on it. It started great, pictures, photos, paintings and record of things said. But because we had such a large group on roll, I struggled to keep it up to date and relevant. I have now gone back to a large plain backed board for creative works and have designated another board for the season. This leaves me with one board and I am not sure where to go with it. I used to put lots of photos up, but am now putting these on the website to cut printing costs. I do not want to make display boards another onerous task for myself!! :blink: Was thinking of having a display based around a favourite book each month.

What have you got on your walls??

Last year each child had their own individual display square, where they could choose what to put up on it. It started great, pictures, photos, paintings and record of things said. But because we had such a large group on roll, I struggled to keep it up to date and relevant. I have now gone back to a large plain backed board for creative works and have designated another board for the season. This leaves me with one board and I am not sure where to go with it. I used to put lots of photos up, but am now putting these on the website to cut printing costs. I do not want to make display boards another onerous task for myself!! :blink: Was thinking of having a display based around a favourite book each month.

What have you got on your walls??

Much the same, my third board is their Birthday board. I found a border I really liked with months of the year. I enlarged the pictures on the border on the photocopier, some pictures I individually cut out to put child's name and date of birth on, the rest I painted the whole picture for each individual month. So we have the original border going round the board, then A4 sized pieces of paper with the relevant month enlarged on photocopier pinned to the board and then stapled to that objects representing each month with the child's details on it, . How insane it is to describe something so simple!! It doesn't need up-dating, it is eye-catching we can look at each individual month and see that it is January, there is a skating boot dangling from the main picture with Thomas's name on it and his date, - and so we go round the whole board sometimes as a quick game before snack time.

http://www.stickerstocker.co.uk/months-of-the-year-bolder-school-classroom-display-border.html#.VAoDXPldWH4

Edited by Panders

Quite frankly, I have more window space than I have wall space (our building was clearly designed by a man), which means I have one display board in the room. ONE.

I use that board to do displays on things that are informative to the parents and practitioners, then we put the children's work up on a shared board that covers half in our room and half in the schools nursery class next door.

Plus, we utilise windows haha.

How many of you display all the children's work these days?

In days gone by we used to have lots of displays of the work that the children did, but over the last couple of years with less 'fluffy duck' craft ;) and the fact that most children want to take home their masterpieces on the day - there's little to display. Which in a very big way is fab as we are packaway and displays are tricky, but in other ways there's not much creativity on show.

Hope that makes sense!

Plus, we utilise windows haha.

now dont take offence at this but i have to say this is my pet hate! why would you cover up the child's view of the world with lots of stuff stuck to windows that they probably take no notice of anyway.....how can you see the weather...the clouds ....life in the outdoors???? Elizabeth Jarman has done some research on natural light and you can increase children's literacy and numeracy rates by something like 9% just by placing them next to natural light sources.....free your windows!!!!!!

When it comes to display i always feel it should be there for a reason not just to fill a space (why is it teachers like to fill spaces with stuff????) we do lots of photo displays or art galleries (for those who like to put up their things....most take it home, as of course they should, after all it belongs to them not to me it is their creation). One of our display boards is in the home corner at the moment so is covered with things like a fake mirror, clock and bunches of lavender! My staff are wonderfully inventive about where to put displays...i often find sticks with things hanging off or washing lines appearing in odd places! The only place i now have a more permanent display is down the loo corridor....but i have plans for that this term too!

• Like 3

Much as I hate to say this....................when the O people came to visit, one thing they pointed out ( and liked) was the 'fluffy duck' verse I have pinned to my front door. Another was the lack of formal displays. I explained that we only put up things that the children have made themselves, we don't live in a 'this term we are all making............or rather decorating the things that narnia cut out so painstakingly last week..............farm animals.beach/holiday/winter/shapes/colours etc '...................... We are lucky enough to have huge windows so we get lots of natural light. At christmas we did display some things the children had made...............in old cd cases all over one window. Because it was rare to do this, the children were fascinated and so were their parents. In the old 'look at the lovely big display WE made'........because let's face it, the children can't put stuff up as 'nicely' as we can ( ;) ) hardly anyone ever took any notice of them

• Like 3

Have just been up to my setting (cleaning - prepping for our first day back - Monday!) - we have a few things on our walls - either pics of children engaging or some of their own work.......I added to this today with a display of 'Thank you' cards received from parents of this year's leavers :1b

• Like 2

This term we have the display board in the entrance hall with all the children and staff on - we have all done our faces on a paper plate with stuck on hair etc! So baby room staff faces and names at the top and the babies faces underneath and the older group staff faces and children underneath! The parents like looking at them and seeing the names and often point out, 'Oh yes Peter has mentioned Jane', can you point her out to me?''. Then another board is just children's work x

now dont take offence at this but i have to say this is my pet hate! why would you cover up the child's view of the world with lots of stuff stuck to windows that they probably take no notice of anyway.....how can you see the weather...the clouds ....life in the outdoors???? Elizabeth Jarman has done some research on natural light and you can increase children's literacy and numeracy rates by something like 9% just by placing them next to natural light sources.....free your windows!!!!!!

When it comes to display i always feel it should be there for a reason not just to fill a space (why is it teachers like to fill spaces with stuff????) we do lots of photo displays or art galleries (for those who like to put up their things....most take it home, as of course they should, after all it belongs to them not to me it is their creation). One of our display boards is in the home corner at the moment so is covered with things like a fake mirror, clock and bunches of lavender! My staff are wonderfully inventive about where to put displays...i often find sticks with things hanging off or washing lines appearing in odd places! The only place i now have a more permanent display is down the loo corridor....but i have plans for that this term too!

Oh don't get me wrong, I hate that we have to use the windows. Plus, we don't use all of the windows. Only 2 and we've got massive skylight windows too. Light is never an option in our place. We never put backing up on the window displays either. We just put a boarder and a few pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cait, I will share that with my staff at the next staff meeting on Monday! I have talked myself black and blue about this asking the particular girls: "And what has the child done/learnt/experienced/problem solved etc. - Surprisingly no one has an answer to that.

Talk about letting children be creative and make things the way they see them and want them to be.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)