Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role of the SENCO

Hi we are in Essex and went on briefing before we broke up. We have 2 SENCOs neither of us Manager. We were told we had got to write our own local offer and publish on our website (which we don't have at moment). County gave us 14 questions as guidelines what to write. County will want us to upload to them for inclusion on their main Essex site so basically we are doing all the work for them. I have also heard from the PSLA that the new SEN Code of practice has been delayed through parliament so the final version won't be published until about October so we now have until Spring term 2015 to implement all the changes. Apparently there is no mention of IEP's either!

• Like 1

Bizarre. As I think already established but worth reiterating (!) at the Kent briefing in July the local offer was being written by 'Kent' itself...it was not the responsibility of each setting although once the offer was made available it was the settings job to make it known to parents.

I have been checking work emails and no information has arrived as yet so clearly things are still being put together. I find it curious that each LA is working so differently. The only thing that doesnt change is that we seem to have to chase every crumb of information :angry:

Although I understand everyone is keen to get the ball rolling , hold fire until you are sure you do actually need to put plans in place. It may be worth just holding off for firm information from your LA..

I have also heard from the PSLA that the new SEN Code of practice has been delayed through parliament so the final version won't be published until about October so we now have until Spring term 2015 to implement all the changes. Apparently there is no mention of IEP's either!

Not sure where the PSLA go this from as the announcement was made that the new COP has been passed through parliament and confirmed via the foundation years website!

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/category/news/

"Providers must make the following information available to parents and/or their carers - how the setting supports children with special educational needs and disabilities."

I would interpret this as an informal, short leaflet that's easy for a parent to read and understand rather than the lengthy descriptions that some Local Authorities are asking for!

Couldnt this be your sen policy???

I was on a briefing for our LA on Tuesday was told it comes into force 1st September. They gave us a hand-out of some of the possible questions the LA will be sending settings to fill in voluntarily for our setting local offer and that everyone needed one even if we didn't share with them. They also said that in reality a SENCO should be part of the management team, however that key workers played a key roll in delivering any plans for individual children. The emphasis was on asses, plan, do, review, and working every step of the way with parents. Do action plans of how and when things will be in place starting with policies to ensure we have legislation in place especially if you are expecting Ofsted as this will be the documentation they will be referring to within SEN remit.

We didn't get shown any documentation as regards IEP just that we are no longer required to record in this way.That we should adopt the new SEN support approach because of course we will have to record something, she said just like DM is not statutory doesn't mean that you shouldn't have something in place.. They will offer further training for the nitty gritty at a later date. I will be honest it felt a little overwhelming and that as a manager/Senco we will have to hit the ground running so to speak. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

I was on a briefing for our LA on Tuesday was told it comes into force 1st September. They gave us a hand-out of some of the possible questions the LA will be sending settings to fill in voluntarily for our setting local offer and that everyone needed one even if we didn't share with them.

/.../

I will be honest it felt a little overwhelming and that as a manager/Senco we will have to hit the ground running so to speak. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

So it's optional? We are small and limited in the support we can offer. Any parent who would like their child to join us contacts me and we discuss together which adjustments to our provision that is needed for their child. Simple.

Me too!

I will be honest it felt a little overwhelming and that as a manager/Senco we will have to hit the ground running so to speak. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

No it's not just you - I have 'gifted' the SENCO role to my deputy - she is an extremely capable practitioner but I am beginning to wish that I had ploughed on with the SENCO role and got info 'first hand' - I need to look through the notes that she took at the last briefing.......

Or......I might just continue to 'make like an ostrich' for now :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Update - PSLA have now stated that COP was passed through parliament on 29th July and it is currently being published and should be released in September. I know the new COP comes into force from 1st Sept but because of the delay we have got until Spring 2015 to move children currently on early years action/action plus and/or on an IEP over to the new SEN support system and any new documentation whatever that might be ?personalised plan. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this. Why don't all County work the same and our life would be made much easier if we had standard documentation that we all used so everything was the same regardless of what part of the country you live - sorry rant over!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)