Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Sen Code of Practice 2014

well ive read it but im a little confused..............do we still use IEP's or do i need to replace them/rename them? Has anyone updated thier sen policy to reflect the new CoP yet as im needing to do that too and could do with some advice as struggling with it.

Unlike the old Code of Practice, IEPs aren't mentioned specifically but it's very clear that records must be kept and in chapter 5 (Early Years) it says under Plan:

The practitioner and the SENCO should agree, in consultation with the parent, the outcomes they are seeking, the interventions and support to be put in place, the expected impact on progress, development or behaviour and a clear date for review.

That sounds like an IEP to me although you could also use a more user friendly Play Plan or One Page Profile (link below)

http://www.helensandersonassociates.co.uk/reading-room/how/person-centred-thinking/one-page-profiles.aspx

I'm not a huge fan of IEPs because they don't really capture the child's personality, strengths and needs and are often kept on a shelf. They also tend to focus on what the child needs to do rather than what we need to do to remove barriers to learning. I'd wait to see what your Local Authority advises. The DfE has made it clear that next term is a transitional term (from the old to the new code) and we're not expected to have everything in place immediately.

Kate, was your local authority one of the pathfinders and that's why you have children with Education, Health and Care Plans? I wondered how you found the process and if parents found it easier.

The Statutory Framework for the EYFS (September 2014) has removed the need for an SEN Policy but on page 30 it says that:

providers must make the following information available to parents and/or carers - how the setting supports children with special educational needs and disabilities.

This sounds like a policy to me but if it's specifically for parents it should be user friendly. At least the process in the new code is easier to explain as Early Years Action and Action Plus have been removed.

thanks for the link ....really usefull ideas there :1b im just goin to update my iep to include more info and call it a personal plan and head it with 'supporting children receiving SEN support'...cant go wrong then

im just goin to update my iep to include more info and call it a personal plan and head it with 'supporting children receiving SEN support'...cant go wrong then

I think we will call them Learning Support Plans as we have Behaviour Support Plans. (All children have an individual / personal plan for education, but not an Individual Education Plan or Personal Plan.)

I would be interested in knowing what you discover needs adding, after going through the new Code of Practise!

oooooo i could call it the sen support plan thanx for the inspiration wildflowers!!!!!!

As for a quick look at content...... it has got childs name, dob, iep number, date started, review date, stage of sen, what the child needs help with, their strengths, the targets, who will help and how, how it will be known if been successful, how the child got on, parents views and signature, senco signature .....................so to update it to the new code of practice ill be taking out stages of sen, wording related to targets will be changed to outcomes desired, iep number to plan number, the rest will stay the same but i will add in ...interventions and support in place and expected impact on progress/developmet/behaviour,....................i think lol

ill post a copy when i get round to doin it along with my new draft sen policy....maybe i could get some feedback :D

'SEN Support Plan' is better than 'Learning Support Plan' as everyone's learning is getting planned support. Thanks!

'Intended outcomes' or 'intended effects' perhaps, instead of 'desired outcomes'?

'Interventions and support in place' and 'expected impact on progress / development / behaviour' - are they from the new SEND CoP? We don't have those in our old IEPs.

Thanks so very much Marsha.

I've begun to read... and a first question appears - 'additional needs' or 'special educational needs'? You use 'additional needs'. Does it matter which we use / choose?

You write that you will meet children's specific requirements. Knowing that we may not get the / any funding for the assistance and equipment some children need, I wouldn't be able to put that in our policy.

You also will provide and maintain a group of well-trained and experienced staff. Small settings like ours, or any, may have difficulty guaranteeing that suitable staff will be available to meet a child's needs adequately.

thanks Marsgad and sunnyday for sharing :1b ....i too thought it was special educational needs rather that additional needs.

'SEN Support Plan' is better than 'Learning Support Plan' as everyone's learning is getting planned support. Thanks!
'Intended outcomes' or 'intended effects' perhaps, instead of 'desired outcomes'?
'Interventions and support in place' and 'expected impact on progress / development / behaviour' - are they from the new SEND CoP? We don't have those in our old IEPs.

great teamwork going on here wildflowers :D ive now changed 'desired' to 'intended' it does sound better!
and yes the extra bits are from the new CoP attached what i have so far, let me know your thoughts and feel free to be critical will only help us get it right!!!!!

oh ok ............ ;) how do i attach things :huh:

Great stuff I will look at those on the laptop later as iPad doesn't like docx files. By the way, if you save the files as .doc - the old Word format, it makes it easier for folk with older computer systems to view them. ;)

• Like 1

hmmm not very technical minded im afraid cait but will look later....right now im off for a well deserved cuppa.....and await feedback lol

hmmm not very technical minded im afraid cait but will look later....right now im off for a well deserved cuppa.....and await feedback lol

It's very simple, just click on 'save as' in the drop down menu from the windows logo in the top left corner, and choose 'word 93-97' (I think it's called) and it saves it as a .doc file.

• Like 1

MarshaD - you are mentioning CAFs in your policy. I sent a mail to our InCo asking about those. She replied that "these have now been replaced by a referral to an Early Help Hub and subsequent action."

So does CAF not exist any more? How do we access these new help forms?

I spent so much time a couple of summers ago writing policies and procedures about CAFs, gathering forms etc so feel rather frustrated. As with so much for us regarding SEN and complex health needs we have never used our policies. (In my ten years of managing a setting I've never had an enquiry from a parent of a child with a special educational or complex health need.) My understanding is that we have to have everything in writing about what we would do, to be prepared. So I read and write, then the policies must be changed before I've used them! I wish I could write something like "when a child with additional needs joins our setting we will seek relevant information to ensure adequate provision". By the way, would that be acceptable?

• Like 1

I haven't quite digested all the comments yet. I recently went to safeguarding training and they said CAFs were still in operation where we are at least. So can't help on that score but will check it out.

I just use the term additional needs because in my opinion its more inclusive, but I don't really think that matters as such.

Thanks for sharing suemars will have a look at later.

lol thanks cait.....had brain freeze moment :( (hardly suprising)

well this is what i have.....all feedback/thoughts/critics welcome

attachicon.gifSEN policy.docx

attachicon.gifSEN Support Plan.docx

attachicon.gifSEN Support Review.docx

attachicon.gifSEN Support Plan-Recording Sheet.docx

:unsure:

Thank you for sharing your hard work

Joanne

no problem joanne, hope it helps...im hoping to get some feedback with regards to any improvements i could make or if ive missed anything etc etc

I'm reading and adapting your policies to our setting Marsha and Sue. I'm finding minor things to wordings etc and mistakes (e.g. inconsistency with capitals at start of sentences in lists) - things I would mention if you sat next to me here. With regards to contents I don't feel competent to suggest improvements, so I'm using without giving back... Sorry!

A question: Should we use 'SEN' in our policy or 'SEND'?

I'm reading and adapting your policies to our setting Marsha and Sue. I'm finding minor things to wordings etc and mistakes (e.g. inconsistency with capitals at start of sentences in lists) - things I would mention if you sat next to me here. With regards to contents I don't feel competent to suggest improvements, so I'm using without giving back... Sorry!

A question: Should we use 'SEN' in our policy or 'SEND'?

glad its usefull to you and thankyou for being honest about the errors, i have proof read it since posting it and changed some mistakes so hopefully got them all.

as far as sen or send...ive gone with what it uses in the code of practice which is mainly sen and i have put in my first reference before abreviating it anywhere 'special educaitional needs and disability (SEN) so hopefully that covers me. :ph34r:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)