Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tattoos and long hair being tied back...what is the reasoning?

Guest Nuby

Is this just a Setting/ business/ company personal preference or am I missing some health and safety regulation that I haven't read about??

Well I have tattoos - although no big in your face ones but the small ones on my foot, ankle and wrist can be seen...... I personally tie my hair up all the time anyway and ladies with long hair are always asked to tie hair up when preparing food etc but I'm not aware of any 'legislation' about it.

Is the issue with tattoo's an image thing?

Guest sn0wdr0p

I have long hair and tie it back when preparing food and when in the baby room simply to avoid having it pulled. The rest of the time it is down.

I personally do not like tattoos (many many arguements with my 22 year old son who keeps coming home with new ones) but accept that my staff have them. Fortunately they are all small ones.

I think the only way to ask someone to ensure a tattoo is covered is if it is offensive or deemed inappropriate by management such as naked ladies, swear words etc other than that I don't believe it would be possible to ask staff to cover them up if normal uniform does not cover them. As for the hair issues you can write it into policies but it may seem excessive as it dangerous territory as in what you would say must be tied up length wise! the wording must be accurate and comprehensive to stop any staff wars going off as someone may say they can't tie their hair up as its only just fitting in a bobble other staff may disagree. As above food hygiene - hair must be tied back.

throwing piercings in the mix too (thinking more facial (and several not the discreet ones) than earrings)

Some settings (and in other industries) are strict on hair colour, make up etc

I think much has to do with corporate image etc

we used to ask tattoos to be covered a lonnnng time ago - but over the years the parents had more and more and the children were used to seeing them - didn't stop a spate of them drawing on their arms etc and saying 'look I've got a picture on my leg like Sammy (staff)' - fortunately their parents had some too and couldn't really argue and just laughed it off!

Not passing my personal opinion on tattoos but quite a few years ago during interviews (not childcare related) I was part of an interview panel.

There were 3 of us on the panel and when we got together to discuss the notes we had made on all of our candidates one of them we had all written tattoos - all of us had an 'issue' with it at the time and obviously felt it was something to note.

Long hair for us is only part of our Food Hygiene policy - but must admit to not particularly liking it when you see staff talking to children through a curtain of hair as it falls forward when interacting with a child - luckily as we are shall I say an older team of staff we have similar thoughts!

• Like 1

As employers who ensure our children and families are treated fairly regardless of race, colour, ethnicity, family background, sexual orientation, religion and a 101 other things, are we really saying staff shouldn't have tattoos? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Given that tattoos are no longer confined to the 'traditional places' we stopped asking for them to be covered when it began to look worse than the tattoos!!

we reserve the right to though if they are rude/offensive!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the whole tattoo thing has always been about professionalism. I got my tattoo after I started working at my setting, so I made sure to check the policies folder to ensure that the placement wasn't going to get me in trouble, and we have no policy whatsoever on tattoos.

I think some places feel they look unprofessional, but that's ridiculous.