Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording of minor accidents, incidents and risks

We have a generic risk assessment listing all risks in our setting.

We record accidents and incidents which are more serious than e.g. minor scratches when tripping or a stick which was moved in a way which could have hit someone on particular forms which parents sign.

In addition we have kept a brief log of these same accidents and incidences, and any new risks we have discovered and added to the generic risk assessment, plus those less serious things which don't require an accident or incident record form. It's a record for the purpose of awareness.

I'm aware of everything safety related because I work with the children every day and we're a team of two. What new staff need to be know, in addition to the generic risk assessment, is in our staff induction list.

I can see the purpose of such record, which we call Health and Safety Diary, if I weren't working directly with the children as a way to keep me informed. But is there any legal reason to keep on with this?

Edited by Wildflowers

i do not keep a health and safety diary but our accidents and incidents are logged in a way that allows me to review at the end of the year (or shorter) this way i fulfill the legal requirements to review. We are required to record accidents/incidents and behaviour and although there are now limitations on risk assessment if you are doing anything risky i would be still writing one (for riddor purposes) however i would say from your post that it seems you are doing over and above the legal requirement.

• Like 1

I record every accident ( scratch etc) as it is not up to me to decide if they are minor, my role is to record. This truly saved my reputation on one occasion and my new setting.

Also, if a 'minor' scratch becomes infected, your records will show that you cleaned it etc...........

• Like 2

We log anything in accident book too, then go through at regular intervals saying whether it was preventable, supervision or just a pure accident. We then just have a separate a4 chart that's on the staff noticeboard that has date, hazard, who saw, what they've done to make it safe for the time being and any action needed! That's for things like a nail poking out of fence etc that can't be sorted immediately! As for risk assessment we just have one for each area so baby room, outside etc x

• Like 1

As with narnia we record everything even minor scratches and bumps we also have a pre existing injury book if a child comes in with a injury just covers us and also can be benficial for cp mtgs.x

hi woodlands,

that chart sounds good - do you have a copy i can look at please?

we note all accidents no matter how small - you never know which one might become more serious - and parents sign to say they have been told -we also give a bumped head note if the child bumps their head.

any child that comes in with something quite obvious eg large bump/bruise the parent would be asked to complete pre-existing injury book - this means its is recorded for sg issues and also safe guards us against parent saying oh how did this happen, didn't have this when they came in etc.,

accident book is reviewed at the end of each half term with any changes to setting /set up etc made if necessary x

The very topic I was about to post about! There seem to be a lot of 'no win no fee' solicitors offering parents huge compensation sums for children's injuries - very sad, but we need to be on top of this!

Do you ask for two staff signatures on forms?

Edited by Phoebe123

we use the body map one (think got it on here)- if a staff member/s witness what happens then they would sign to say they had witnessed it and would complete the form - if no-one sees it then the staff member who deals with the child would complete the form - we make it very clear to all staff that ON NO ACCOUNT should they say they witnessed anything if they hadn't.

our accident book is kept in ring bound book and numbered each page -this ensures that no pages are removed .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)