Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Storing Medication

Our insurers have said we are not insured to store medication on site so medication should, during the time required, be brought daily to the setting and taken home with the parent /carer..

What do you do? If a parent forgot their child's inhaler or epi pen it could be a disaster.

We have always stored medicine here, children with asthma have to have a complete set of inhaler/ spacer left here so it's always readily available. We keep it away from children with all prescription labels in tact. We have also had two epipens stored here too. How has this come about, I never would have thought of it with regards to insurance because the risk of them forgetting it would be too high and I know doctors have told parents to leave a set here too x

I'll have to look into this, as currently we keep inhalers for several children! Will look at our insurance policy or give them a call.

Thanks for the heads up. I agree, it wouldn't be good at all if they forgot to bring it. I suppose someone would need to check each time they came in and send the parent home for it if they had forgotten.

We got the heads up from another playgroup hence me querying it with Morton Michel, our insurers. Here the reply I got when I asked whether we can store medicine

"Further to our telephone conversation regarding medication. I can confirm that you are covered under the insurance policy for the administration of certain drugs or medicines so long as you are complying with all the conditions as laid out at in Section 1 (Public Liability - Special Conditions 2 a & b and 3) in your policy document. The Insurers would not accept the storage of medication on site so medication should, during the time required, be brought daily to the setting and taken home with the parent /guardian."

So, we are covered to administer but not store, it seems.

Oh this could be a big problem! (schools keep medicines dont they?) I also would need to check this as we have some dangerous medication kept on site for one of our little ones...i guess this is about ensuring they are not stolen. I need to go and check this too

Oh this could be a big problem! (schools keep medicines dont they?) I also would need to check this as we have some dangerous medication kept on site for one of our little ones...i guess this is about ensuring they are not stolen. I need to go and check this too

Think we need to find out some specifics here. If we do store medications over night, exactly what is the come back under which circumstances with the insurer. If we are broken into and the asthma meds and pump are stolen, whilst that is upsetting etc., where does the insurance company come into it?

As long as they are stored correctly while our children are in nursery that is the main thing and we are covered for that - am I missing something here?

Edited by Panders

That's what I was thinking panders - I don't actually see how the insurance company comes into it? I hadn't really thought about it from a theft point of view though. Panders I know our insurance company wanted a copy of care plan and training certificates for life saving medicine but never said anything about storage x

• Like 1

Hi Everyone

FYI - This is what i've had back from the insurers

"Thank you for your email, I am afraid the underwriters cannot state every eventuality in the policy wording, therefore there is no specific mention of storing medication at the premises. However I have spoken to the underwriters with regards to this and they deem keeping medication on site an added risk and unfortunately they would not wish to accept such an arrangement"

Bit of a pain, not quite sure how the logistics of that are meant to work!

I'm sort of 'thinking out loud' here.......I wonder if the reasoning behind this is that there is more of a risk of 'break in' if 'drugs' are stored........

I work out of a Community Building - at one time this building was also used by a local doctor (next village) who rented a small 'office' in which to see patients just once a week......the building was broken into - clearly just to get into the (locked) doctors room - whoever was responsible was 'unlucky' he didn't keep any meds on site........

I'm sort of 'thinking out loud' here.......I wonder if the reasoning behind this is that there is more of a risk of 'break in' if 'drugs' are stored........

I work out of a Community Building - at one time this building was also used by a local doctor (next village) who rented a small 'office' in which to see patients just once a week......the building was broken into - clearly just to get into the (locked) doctors room - whoever was responsible was 'unlucky' he didn't keep any meds on site........

Yes Sunnyday that was my thinking too, if there was any likelihood of drugs being on the premises it would certainly increase the risk of break in.

But would that be enough for them to refuse a whole claim - if it happened countless times - I assume it would.

There is certainly no risk of other people who use our premises getting hold of medications which could do them any harm so my group doesn't need insuring against that. Perhaps it is down to individuals to make a risk decision here - I shall continue to keep asthma medication at ours, that's all we keep in any case and I wouldn't want to be without it - parents can be so forgetful about bringing it in;.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 3

Hi Everyone

FYI - This is what i've had back from the insurers

"Thank you for your email, I am afraid the underwriters cannot state every eventuality in the policy wording, therefore there is no specific mention of storing medication at the premises. However I have spoken to the underwriters with regards to this and they deem keeping medication on site an added risk and unfortunately they would not wish to accept such an arrangement"

Bit of a pain, not quite sure how the logistics of that are meant to work!

Personally i think you need to ring them and have a proper chat. Have they understood the full implications of what they are suggesting? i would say most settings and all schools have 'drugs' on their premises which are left there not only over night but also in the holidays etc....does that mean we are all uninsured? Also are they prepared as an insurance company to have a claim made against them for a child dying because their medication was not on site (they'll say this is your problem of course!!)

If they are adamant that this is the case then i would say (looking at the responses that you have here) that they need to ask the people who buy insurance from them whether they are aware of this? if it isn't in the policy clauses then it should be covered ...which clause is it stated that this is the case?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)