Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYTS?

Trying to gather information. I have been sent an invitation to attend a meeting for prosepctive EYTS' ( starting in September), but want to know what exactly it entails? As a graduate, I could do work-based study, over a year, and this is fully funded, plus a bursary is available to cover supply. I am not sure if I have any study left in me.............so, come on folks, what would I be letting myself in for :ph34r:

I did EYP and didn't find the work load massive and I enjoyed it. I am, like Hali, confused as to where it's going now though. It keeps saying it will be equivalent to QTS and at my local uni you now have to do the skills tests for teacher training before you can start EYT, yet as far as i can understand you could only work in a school in EYFS and you wouldn't have QTS.

if anyone understands it better please let me know! There's a suggestion i should go and do EYT ITT but I don't see it gains me more than my EYPS!!

My daughter has just completed EYT she found it pretty gruelling & repeating much of what you have done & know - not sure that anyone is really asking for EYTs especially in our area, still advertising for level 3 managers ?

I am EYP and found it really beneficial to running my own setting. I would recommend it to all. It's one of those "you don't know what you don't know" moments. It really compliments all the everyday actions we do, it supports my confidence. I did not find the work for the status too gruelling infact the opposite it really highlighted all the tasks I take in my stride.

I encouraged one of team to follow the course last year so we are now awaiting her result and I have another member of my team who has been accepted onto the new EYT course starting in September. From what she tells me, it is a little different to the way I did it and yes she had to do the skills test despite getting a first class honours degree and having A level Maths!

I know the arguments about why do it if it does not give us equality with teachers, but I don't care too much because I am in job that I enjoy and I want to give the best I can to the children I work with and I am eager to gain as much knowledge to be able to do this. I guess I am in the lucky position of my salary not being the main salary in my household, so I can have this attitude.

It keeps saying it will be equivalent to QTS and at my local uni you now have to do the skills tests for teacher training before you can start EYT, yet as far as i can understand you could only work in a school in EYFS and you wouldn't have QTS.

It's equivalent in the way any degree level qualification is equivalent but not the same as QTS. To be a teacher in a maintained school in any class you currently need QTS which also requires the passing of an induction year in addition to getting the qualification. If you don't pass the induction you cannot continue to teach in a maintained school. You could work as a TA or nursery level 3+ but not a teacher. however any other type of school (Free, Academy, Independent can employ whoever they want.

I don't think EYTs have to do the induction bit so that is not equivalent to getting QTS.

Cx

IMO no point in doing EYT until the government sort out the equivalency for qts......only my opinion though! and Narnia they are not offering eyps in our area only eyt....just change of name i thought but sounds from here that i may be wrong!

I'm an eyp and had a letter asking if I wanted to pay £10 to have a new certificate to say it was equivalent to an EYT so I would think it must be definitely be equivalent! The whole qts thing is ridiculous, I'm trained as a primary school teacher so not applicable to me but silly for those who haven't already got qts as it's so unclear!

I am already EYPS.................so, this would or would not, add anything?

As far as I can see there is no mechanism (or way of funding) EYPs to gain EYTS - we were told that our EYPS has been 'converted' to EYTS.

We have not been offered a new certificate or anything, either.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Ratatat was looking into this a while ago and there was an in depth discussion some time ago. RATATAT ARE YOU THEREEEEEEE!