Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand & water enhancements - ideas

Last Friday I had an observation from our advisor. One of the development points is to provide more enhancements for sand and water in the way I might put books or clipboards or whatever in other areas. I am struggling to get my head round this and am having a complete mental blank. What kind of thing do you do? I'm having my usual post-observation slump of feeling like I'm never going to be quite good enough (even though the outcome of the observation was good and there was no really negative feedback) so any hints/tips/ideas will be so gratefully received.

Are there any next steps/interests that you could use from the children? like creating a desert or using tubes to create flow?hunting for treasure (for maths) or creating a sound sand tray (s sounds...snakes etc) extending vocab by adding animals....or sensory by changing the wetness !

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but we will put some of the coloured gravel stuff for fish tanks in the bottom of our tray. Then number rubber ducks on the bottom, put diff plastic fish in which can be hidden, give them pots, fishing nets, homemade fishing rods etc and make it into a sort of 'fish shop role play'. Messy but they love the scooping etc and so much you can do with it relating to number, colour, size etc. And I am sure you are brilliant so don't be disheartened :-)

Thank you for the ideas. My children are particularly enjoying the guttering and pipes we have with our water tray at the moment. The comment on my feedback includes the sentence: "...include equipment to support opportunities for mark making." I think this is the bit that is puzzling me. I was asked on the day why I hadn't got any books outside as I usually did (I often set up a cosy reading corner on a couple of our benches) and I explained that the weather had been, and was forecast to continue being, lots of rain in sudden downpours and that it didn't seem to be appropriate to put books/paper out in those circumstances.

Things that were suggested included a book or two about water, some useful vocabulary displayed and maybe clipboards with blue paper on. I'm confused.

well gosh sorry im a bit confused too now! so were they suggesting mark making for the water tray? or increasing literacy in the environment????? could they record their names on a waiting list for mark making maybe????

sorry confused.com!

Maybe they were just trying to find something to say...

I have photographs of the children using vocabulary in the water tray e.g. from when they were investigating ice etc (have vocabulary on speech bubbles around photos) - in the hope that the words might be more relevant for the children. I don't see the point in putting up random words that the children can't read or understand. Could put whiteboards with pens for children to record things they found out?

xxx

advisors ... sometimes it is good and relevant.. other times the 'advice' is confusing. We used to ask them what exactly they wanted us to do... in specifics.. and then ask how the children would benefit any more that they already do with us doing 'xyz'. if we could not find a childrens benefit we could see no reason to change or add..

Was going to maybe suggest looking for a diving slate, or two.. these you are able to write on in water.. we had one for a while when I 'borrowed' my diver sons slate..was specifically to encourage mark making in a group who were very reluctant.. they all wanted a go at writing under water :D They are not expensive and often have the pen attached.. other idea was a poster or picture on the wall that is detailed to encourage them to look and discuss what they see on there.. could be a seaside theme or underwater one.. or did see some online for rain cycle , in pictures..

• Like 1

advisors ... sometimes it is good and relevant.. other times the 'advice' is confusing. We used to ask them what exactly they wanted us to do... in specifics.. and then ask how the children would benefit any more that they already do with us doing 'xyz'. if we could not find a childrens benefit we could see no reason to change or add..

Was going to maybe suggest looking for a diving slate, or two.. these you are able to write on in water.. we had one for a while when I 'borrowed' my diver sons slate..was specifically to encourage mark making in a group who were very reluctant.. they all wanted a go at writing under water :D They are not expensive and often have the pen attached.. other idea was a poster or picture on the wall that is detailed to encourage them to look and discuss what they see on there.. could be a seaside theme or underwater one.. or did see some online for rain cycle , in pictures..

OooO... Divers slate, that's sounds a cool idea, I'm off to eBay !

• Like 1

Last Friday I had an observation from our advisor. One of the development points is to provide more enhancements for sand and water in the way I might put books or clipboards or whatever in other areas. I am struggling to get my head round this and am having a complete mental blank. What kind of thing do you do? I'm having my usual post-observation slump of feeling like I'm never going to be quite good enough (even though the outcome of the observation was good and there was no really negative feedback) so any hints/tips/ideas will be so gratefully received.

look at the children using the area or all of your children what do they like to do use what they like to do as part of your thinking

so for instance what skill you do you want those children to develop.... make the area interesting with items that will help the children develop those skills.

Thanks again everyone. Absolutely love the idea of a diver's slate! I sent my lovely HT an e-mail at some unearthly hour this morning saying I was confused. We were going to talk through things today between meetings today but it was one of those days when 'stuff happened' so we didn't. Hopefully he'll have more insight as he was the one that actually had the conversation. I have already said about one suggestion "you do know the children won't actually do that don't you?" To which I received a shrug and a wry grin. I did say I resented putting a lot of work into something that will have a limited impact on the children. We'll see what happens - will let you know what it all means!

Thinking about sand and water play away from the sandpit and the water tray - we have purchased (at great expense from the 99p store) some syphons (like bycycle pumps but foam) to enhance our water play. The children use these to "mark make" up against the fence or on the playground. Must emphasise however that there are v. firm rules in place about not mark making on other children or the staff xDxD

Picture of syphon thingy - as my descriptive powers are not too good this morning!

post-9650-0-56341600-1400048229_thumb.jpg

We also have something called a "Sahara Sand Tray" which uses v. fine grade dry sand and wooden tools which also encourages mark making. Tools are not necessary as fingers can be used too. The tray and accessories was purchased back in the good old days when there was funding for resourcing available but I'm sure that they can't be too hard to make. The tray has a perspex bottom and we "hide" things under it to encourage the children to make marks to find them or trace them. "Things" can be pictures or coloured acetates (we have some in different shapes so that they can "trace" the outline. We sometimes plop ours on top of a light box which extends this activity quite nicely.

post-9650-0-47943400-1400048372_thumb.jpg

Loving the symphony thingy Sue, just got to track them down now!

Our local discounters do them e.g., £1 stores and 99p shop. Recently my Dad (aged 70+++++++) was whinging about the tufties raiding his bird feeders so along with a hamper of booze, choccies and sweeties for his birthday I put a syphon in for him to use - he has it permanently loaded in the back garden and has been enjoying his "target practicing" :D:D

• Like 2

Our local discounters do them e.g., £1 stores and 99p shop. Recently my Dad (aged 70+++++++) was whinging about the tufties raiding his bird feeders so along with a hamper of booze, choccies and sweeties for his birthday I put a syphon in for him to use - he has it permanently loaded in the back garden and has been enjoying his "target practicing" :D:D

Oh Sue that did make me laugh, "tufties" . I will keep a look out for the syphon

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)