Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why things happen and how things work

klc106

Why it rains and puddles dry up when you're outside, for example. Today we tried to figure out why our outside space is in the sunshine in the morning but not in the afternoon. I'm very keen on real life situations and problems. 'How things work' is trickier, for me at least. Some of our children are very interested in electricity.

'Understands' is not most important, in my view (which is irrelevant, I know!) - it's that they show interest in why thing and how things work and discuss it. Which may lead me to learn something new and share it!

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

is it not TALKS about why things happen and how things work?

anyway to me this section is about nature and the environment so looking at tadpoles this week discussing metamorphosis and the changes that occur and whether they know any other creatures that change...looking at the solar fountain and working out when it works and why.....why the grass under the builders tray has turned pale and how it needs the sun to develop its green colour (believe me this got very technical at one point!!)...when it says how things work if you look at the ELG for this section it is definitely about how natural things work.

• Like 2

It is talks about, but the talking would demonstrate the understanding!

This for me would also be about how things work in relation to objects and materials. It will lead eventually into design technology in the primary curriculum E.g. how the mechanism turns the train wheels all together, how forces operate on making things move.

Cx

• Like 1

This for me would also be about how things work in relation to objects and materials. It will lead eventually into design technology in the primary curriculum E.g. how the mechanism turns the train wheels all together, how forces operate on making things move.

Cx

this would certainly be covered in the next section ...but the world section only mentions things in nature. I would definitely see this section as being about biology...not about design tech.????

• 6 months later...

It is talks about, but the talking would demonstrate the understanding!

Are you sure that the focus is on understanding, not on being interested? Our children often talk about why things happen and how things work without having much understanding. If this statement is about having knowledge, rather than having theories, then how do we know what is expected knowledge of a child of this age to meet the ELG?

Had fun with this the other day working out why bread went into the toaster white and came out brown - took a lot of thinking about! (My 100% EAL class didn't use the word toast - it's all bread).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)