Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Readiness....?

I am about to review my ' preparing your child for school' document to give out this summer and was wondering if anyone had any top tips or ideas that i could include on how to help parents prepare for this transition.

Many thanks in advance... :1b

Guest youngrisers

What school readiness ? Some little ones start school with a brave heart and strong head others fail from the first hurdle of saying goodbye to mummy at the door. Michael Wilshaw makes me laugh so does Mr Gove as there is no such thing as readiness for a four year old. As for reading , writing and doing everything else that comes naturally some children do not achieve this till 7 or 8. For goodness sake why can't they leave the children alone in this country till they are ready to learn like in Europe...... :angry: :angry:

Rant over.......

Some fellow Kent colleagues recently attended a conference where the speaker spoke about the new '3 R'. The suggestion being, ' Risk, Relationships and Resilience' . This really struck a chord with us and we are even more determined not to get the children 'ready' (are they ever??!) but 'prepare' them as best we can and as individuals.

I visited Germany last year. In some areas parents can even choose how many days the children go (our primary age) so it really does suit a childs individual needs.

Oh and don't get me started on reading and writing....this doesn't start until, wait for it, the child shows a clear indication of wanting to do it and there is no pressure to get going with this as soon as they start school. Physical and gross motor skills are built up first. funny how German children all appear to still read and write to the same standard as UK children when they leave school.

Oh dear, sorry that was another rant :(

Sunnyday have same leaflet, we also have teachers into visit ( I feed many schools) most come and spend time with their future children.

I have an open morning for parents and we talk about what they can do to help and what we put in place. We have a transition box with different school items in it.

My staff have gone to some of the schools and have put together a scrape book of photos taken at the schools ie classroom, playground, toilets etc

Wouldn't it be lovely if 'ready for school' meant that the child is a inquisitive, enthusiastic and resilient learner whose self care skills are appropriate to their age and stage of development or there is a detailed plan in place to ensure a smooth and supportive transition?

The adults should be ready for the child, not the other way round :angry:

Edited by Upsy Daisy
  • Like 9

Thanks for your replies!

I am in Early years and we take it upon ourselves to do extra school visits and make up photo books to share with the children and our local teachers also visit the nursery to meet the children. Im not thinking of including 'reading or writing' on this document just things like....talking about the journey to school, teachers names, school uniform etc!!

I love the idea of a prop box Suer.......what sort of things do you have in your School transition box? Think im going to make one this weekend! :1b

Not sure if it's the children we should be getting ready or the parents - most of our children are extremely capable and independent until their parent's arrive and then they suddenly lose the use of their arms!!

• Like 5

Wouldn't it be lovely if 'ready for school' meant that the child is a inquisitive, enthusiastic and resilient learner whose self care skills are appropriate to their age and stage of development or there is a detailed plan in place to ensure a smooth and supportive transition?

The adults should be ready for the child, not the other way round :angry:

Ohwww..... I really like how you put that - can I use your wording on my newsletter please? :1b :1b :1b

• Like 2

I love the idea of a prop box Suer.......what sort of things do you have in your School transition box? Think im going to make one this weekend! :1b

Well we have depending on which school, school sweatshirt, tie, plimsoles book bag, lunchbox, toy toilet(as this can cause lots of questions), pencil, school diary

We also do (we all them talking boxes) a box for our new little ones before we take them to forest school., they are a great talking point and excellent for small groups to explore and include in their role play.

toy toilet(as this can cause lots of questions),

had to laugh...one of my little ones some years ago when i took him on a school visit was found sitting on the urinal ! His Mum was a single parent and so he had never been in a gents loo....didn't know how to use them!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

'School ready' is perhaps not the nicest terminology but it should make us think about how we can support children and their families with their impending transition.

Sowing the seeds of change needs time, patience and care; the more we invest the better the outcomes. We invest in a lot when supporting the child and their family with transition to school.

We do this via:

• Talking about school in the setting and at home
  • Visiting schools with Key Persons and Parents, we prepare and take a snack for everyone with us to share, the children take their cameras to capture the toys, teachers and come back to print off and make books foreveryone
  • Social story books
  • Enhancing role play areas with school clothes and book bags
  • Providing books in our library about going to school
  • Stock our home lending library with pictorial school lotto, emotions and routines about getting dressed etc to support confidence and independence
  • Every child gets a pictorial letter about their new school
  • We let parents know about meetings at the school
  • We hold a meeting for our parents and invite local teachers along and past parents to share information and top tips...
  • Parents receive a newsletter from us about school, the process, our commitment etc.
  • We attend transition meetings with all schools and pass over information verbally and through records
  • Set up I.PA meetings for S.E.N and professionals are invited along with Parents
  • We attend the school after they have settled in September...

In our opinion 'School ready' is about sowing the seeds of trust, familiarity, and discovering another safe place to explore and play. Confidence, communication and independence are the key skills that we support daily that will enhance this further.

Hope this helps... take the best bits and have fun!

Ww.scripture union.co.uk provide a really good booklet for children get ready go and one for the parents aptly named get ready let go ,my previous preschool ( linked to baptist church ) gave them out , was looking at them today any they really are good.

Also our children centre ran a couple of days in the holidays nearer the start of term to reinforce the skills and assist with transition.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)