Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reforming assessment and accountability for primary schools

mundia

Hot off the press, this was published today, along with the feedback from the consultation last autumn.

Haven't read all of it yet, but as we thought, the EYFSP will become optional from 2016 and be replaced by a baseline assessment at the start of the reception year.

Happy reading!

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/new-national-curriculum-primary-assessment-and-accountability

• Like 1

Thank you Mundia. Had to smile as I'd printed off and read this before my head saw it - had to be a first! He then read during some governor training we were at - and sat chuntering while he read. He spluttered at all the EY stuff!

Catma - I'll buy it! ;-)

Well in true "Apprentice" style, that's the market research done...what to test is the next question!

Cx

My vote is for lots of things that are relatively easy to train them to do but are of limited use as indicators of future attainment so they will all start reception above average but it will be an absolute nightmare to make the expected 'more than expected' progress by the end of Y6. However it will take until 2022 to realise this and the assessment criteria will have changed at least twice in that time! ;-)

Hmmm, I think I have just turned into a ranty old woman over night!

Thank you Mundia. Had to smile as I'd printed off and read this before my head saw it - had to be a first! He then read during some governor training we were at - and sat chuntering while he read. He spluttered at all the EY stuff!

Catma - I'll buy it! ;-)

I seem to read most things before my Head or SLT. They think that makes me a sad, strange person.

I seem to read most things before my Head or SLT. They think that makes me a sad, strange person.

It never happens to me - my head reads everything!

Well we're not alone - every primary colleague I know is baffled by the no levels form of assessment!!

My head and I were talking about it again this lunchtime and lots of "but it just doesn't make sense!" Type comments were filling the air!

It will of course have to contain the obligatory "can cut with scissors" expectation for 4 year olds.

I think I may love a baseline that included this. I would rather that, than what I fear, a baseline that focuses on what numbers they recognise, how far they can count, what letters they know, if they can write their name. Because after all, we all know the academics is what makes a 4 year old!

• Like 1

I think I may love a baseline that included this. I would rather that, than what I fear, a baseline that focuses on what numbers they recognise, how far they can count, what letters they know, if they can write their name. Because after all, we all know the academics is what makes a 4 year old!

I have a child at the moment who was confident at recognising numbers and letters when he started, could count accurately, write his name and is one of the more socially and personally secure children I've met. However, as the year has gone on it has become more apparent that he finds it difficult to apply these things in context. For example, he opened a restaurant last week and went around taking orders - apart from initial sounds it was very hard to work out what he was aiming for and it's been clear in adult-led writing activities it's a real effort for him. I wouldn't have predicted that in September but at least an end of reception year profile gives me a formal opportunity to flag up my concerns if they're still there. (I would anyway but I hope you see what I mean).

I'm thinking 'can they do their own trousers up after going to the toilet? ' should be part of a baseline too.

Edited by Froglet

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)