Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Appraisals ... fresh ideas!

Morning all I'm after some inspiration

With doing our termly supervisions now I feel like I'm continually meeting with staff and ironing out problems even more quickly - which is obviously a positive thing

Next month we have our annual appraisals with the Chairperson and now feel as if there's hardly anything to talk about!

So any new ideas?!

Sorry, I can't help because I've been thinking exactly the same thing. I've been setting targets and discussing these at the following meeting, sorting out any niggles, catching up on training needs etc. so don't feel there's anything left for an appraisal. I was thinking about just carrying on as we are. I'm an owner/manager though so don't have a chairperson or committee to answer to. Hope someone will be along with more of an answer for you! :1b

• Like 2

I went to safeguarding training yesterday and was told it is legislation to do monthly supervisions and Ofsted pick up on it if you don't. My question is who does the manager's, when the chairperson is always so busy? I asked my deputy to do it for me this month, not sure if this is ok or not, but better than not doing it at all!

• Like 1

Sorry, I can't help because I've been thinking exactly the same thing. I've been setting targets and discussing these at the following meeting, sorting out any niggles, catching up on training needs etc. so don't feel there's anything left for an appraisal. I was thinking about just carrying on as we are. I'm an owner/manager though so don't have a chairperson or committee to answer to. Hope someone will be along with more of an answer for you! :1b

Glad it's not just me then :D

I might do as you suggest; carry on as we are but perhaps once a year ask the Chairperson to join us for the meeting

But hopefully someone else will come along and give us some more ideas :1b

don't do monthly supervision! we do termly supervision, termly peer obs (normally one on each half term) and weekly staff meeting / planning meeting. Don't think I would have time for monthly supervision. I was under the impression that as long as you did it, it was done to you still to decide how often and in what formate. May have to go looking now

standards say regular (doesn't stipulate what regular is) In supervisions i tend to discuss moderation and staffing issues in appraisals this is a much more analytical view of the year taking in to account their training for the future/ over view for the year etc

• Like 1

Appraisals are more looking towards the next year, ie things you want to develop over time. These should link with the settings development plan, SEF or whatever else you use. They should also support each person's training plan. So if a member of staff is doing an additional qualification, or has an interest in developing skills for babies, this might be part of their appraisal.

Supervisions can look at the longer term plan (to see how its going), but to me, should be more about day to day things, eg may cover time off, issues that have arisen recently, children's progress or concerns about children, safeguarding. A bit like the difference between a long term and short term plan.

All of the settings that I support that have had a recent inspection have been asked about their supervisions systems.

• Like 4

For our appraisals, we have a form to fill in on how we feel we're doing in certain areas like our standard of work etc and we discuss our responses to each in the appraisal, which is something we don't do in our supervisions (which are every 3-4 months).

Our supervisions are quite general with a focus on our learning journeys and any little issues that have come up. Appraisals are about how our "year" has been and a plan of action for our next year.

• Like 2

As a final question in appraisals this year I asked the staff to describe themselves (at work) in one word. I put the words into WordArt and made them into a little A4 poster. This generated a good discussion at staff meeting, but also gave a good overview of what we are like as a body of staff. Some words cropped up more than once! Doesn't solve the problem of appraisals and supervisions often covering the same ground but it did cause a bit of thought and a few smiles.

• Like 1

I think Mundia has already said this but this is what we do:

Supervision each holiday (i.e. 6 times per year) when we have fewer children so can take staff from the rooms. This focuses on the member of staff's welfare as relates to work; any training they have attended; a review of their key children and families and any support the child or family may need, including who will take any actions; an update on their annual development plan (which is agreed at appraisal).

Appraisals are based on the job description. So we go point by point through this noting the aspects that have gone well and areas that could have gone better and why. This usually leads to identifying some areas where the person could be helped but further training / visiting another setting / observing another member of staff / being given reading materials / being observed and receiving feedback etc. From this we create a development plan for the following year (the one I referred to when describing our supervision above).

We were dong this when we were last inspected and the inspector was happy. But I guess, like most things, it is what works for your setting - as long as you can explain what you have chosen to do and why.