Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do I hear a death knell?

narnia

So, the government has announced that 49 schools are trialling taking 2 year olds. I fear this is the slippery slope to the death of all groups such as mine, where we have worked hard to gain qualifications, provide great, loving care and are now to be closed down. Or is that too simple?

• Like 1

Only if the schools have the resources and space. Our local school doesn't have a nursery so children start the term after they are 4.

Our local school does not have enough room for the local children of school age- let alone 2-3 yr olds.

Ok- nothing new there really, however it is has just been rebuilt on a new site, the old site has been sold off for even more 'family housing' Not sure our planning department actually understands the work 'planning'

• Like 1

This is just another nail I think - like louby loo says if the minimum wage goes up without a funding increase that will have an impact as will auto enrollment pensions - it won't be until we have all shut down that some eegit in authority twigs that you don't get ought for nought!

• Like 4

Wow just googled to see if there was any news on the minimum wage for 2014 and they are speculating £7 an hour - no way we could afford that :(

Please don't take this as a criticism (any of you employers out there!). But how sad is it when we as a sector can't afford to pay our well qualified and experienced practitioners £7 an hour to do the most important work you possibly can?

I wouldn't like to be the person in charge of the budgets at the Local Authority when they have to figure out where the extra funding will come from, if the minimum wage goes up.

And how shocking that the minimum wage will only pay for what it did in 2008 (or something ridiculous) as I heard on the news today. :(

What a sad world we live in.

• Like 5

As an employer Maz I thoroughly agree with you and don't in any way take offence at your post. Unfortunately 98% of children attending my setting only access their funded entitlement so we pretty much rely on government funding only - we don't have "voluntary contributions" except in exceptional circumstances when we want to do something special like get "Living Eggs" in and even then not every family contributes. The only way I could pay staff what they truly deserve is to drop the ratios of adult to children to the bare minimum which as we all know will impact on the quality of the experiences that the children have - it will also mean laying off staff so that they are earning nothing - a no win situation sadly.

As you say a sad world!

• Like 7

As an employer Maz I thoroughly agree with you and don't in any way take offence at your post. Unfortunately 98% of children attending my setting only access their funded entitlement so we pretty much rely on government funding only - we don't have "voluntary contributions" except in exceptional circumstances when we want to do something special like get "Living Eggs" in and even then not every family contributes. The only way I could pay staff what they truly deserve is to drop the ratios of adult to children to the bare minimum which as we all know will impact on the quality of the experiences that the children have - it will also mean laying off staff so that they are earning nothing - a no win situation sadly.

As you say a sad world!

I'm in exactly the same position SueJ it's horrid being there, we are no longer in charge of our own destinies

• Like 6