Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

session times

This has been driving me mad for a few days.

Our LEA are now enforcing the minimum session times for claiming of 2 1/2 hours.

We need to open at 9am and close at 3pm to fit in with local schools.

We need a morning session / lunch /pm session (and an all day)

I was thinking of

9am until 11.30 am session

11.30 - 12.30 to include lunch

12 -30 -3pm pm session

9-3 pm all day session

but no combination makes 15 hours (so parents can access it free)

Where am I going wrong?

We use the last half hour of the morning session as lunchtime, and the first half hour of afternoon sessions as lunchtime so we can finish at 3 in line with school!

So our sessions are

9 - 12

And

12 - 3

Lunch is essentially 11.30 - 12.30

This means if someone stays 9 - 3 they get a longer lunch break but once they have finished eating they can go and play as lunch is in the nursery.

We have been doing this since the sessions changed to 3 hours long!

Actually that wouldn't work for us as we could end up with 50 parents all trying to park outside / drop off / collect at 12. (our preschool is on a small private road used by others).

I also try to offer an affordable shorter session for the summer borns so they can also attend for 2 years before school.

Our mid hour was split into 2, so some could stay 2.5 , 3 hours or 4 on some days... was a bit of a nightmare sorting out hours but once we were used to it found it worked well..

we had some start at

9.00 to 11.30

9.00 to 12.00

9 to 12.30

11.30 to 3pm

12.00 to 3pm

12.30 to 3pm

or all day 9 to 3pm

so lots of comings and goings along with sorting out the hours and numbers each day but it did allow all to have the 15 hous along weith paying for additional half hour or hour if they wanted to.. and shorter hours

I know it looks horrendous but it worked for us.. and parents liked the flexibility..

Our contact no longer states session length - just a minimum 2.5 claim per week.

We do do 3 hour sessions though.

Could you extend to allow for pick up after school? We do this, and session ends at 3.30- although many parents do pick up early before school (we like this :1b :1b :1b )

Our contact no longer states session length - just a minimum 2.5 claim per week.

We do do 3 hour sessions though.

Could you extend to allow for pick up after school? We do this, and session ends at 3.30- although many parents do pick up early before school (we like this :1b :1b :1b )

That's kind of where we went too...hence the question but we start before the local school so 8.30 start for us....which gives them time to drop off at the school for 8.45 then we finish at 3 and they finish 3.15. We do 8.30-11.30 then half hour lunch club then 12-3 some children do full days most do mornings or afternoons

Hi

I didn't really want to extend the day before 9 and past 3 as this affects staff collecting children and parents have to drop off and collect children across the field and some at schools further afield.

Yours looks interesting Inge! I think the way forward is various hours. Although can I cope with the stress of ratio's for 2 / 3 years olds, total numbers etc. I don't know if I can!

We do 3 hours and lunch is just the start of the afternoon session.

Yes, that's what we do - but to meet the funding requirements, the lunch 'session' has to be seen to be a learning opportunity with provision throughout - so not just overseeing eating and then a 'playtime' like you may see in a primary school - it that makes sense!

We do 9 til 12 optional lunch club 12 til 1 - £3 charge unless they do all day session til 3 and then no charge for lunch club . We now use funded hours for lunch as some of our children are unable to cope with full day and wed afternoon are for our older children ( those going to school in sept) this session starts at 12.30 til 3.30 as it fits around local village school collection and our hall is used on wed morning by bowls group , glad you sorted it