Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Upset, angry and confused about safeguarding

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

OK I have finally simmered down enough to talk about this. I made a referral for a child on a Monday morning about something that was brought to my attention on the Friday at 6pm. I had absolutely no concerns about this child previously and did not view it as urgent.(Sorry I can't expand more on my concern) so that was why I left it till then. I was then called back on the Tuesday to say that she had a named social worker and that the mum had postnatal depression. I knew absolutely nothing of this and obviously as an experienced safeguarding manager would have phoned it through immediately had I known. I felt very cross that I had not been contacted by the social worker -and very upset. The social worker came to speak to the child in my setting (after parental permission) and she did not know either whether it (my concern) was something to worry about and she was taking no action but would keep in contact with the family. No child protection plan has ever been in place for this child.

Now things have got worse as I have found out that the safeguarding board have put in a complaint about me to Ofsted for not reporting it immediately and that I should expect a visit (inspection). I am very very upset and I am sure that when they have the full facts they will agree that with the info to hand I took the correct action but my confidence has taken a massive knock. I wouldn't mind so much but I made two referrals the day before - I'm not a shrinking violet if I have to address something I will.

So back to my main gripe - I had a child signed up last week (by Dad) with my deputy and the he did not inform her that the child was on the protection register and had a family support worker and a social worker - despite there being a box to complete on the registration form. Just a bit of 'a feeling' made me question Dad more on his next visit to us who gave me the name of his social worker. So I contacted the social worker (who knew this child was now coming to us) and by eck was informed that Mum was not allowed unsupervised access and that if she ever brought her child in to get him off her immediately and call the social worker. Why oh why had he not contacted me earlier?

And today. Yet another one. A social worker called me today and invited me to a core group meeting about a child who has been coming to us for over a year and not once have we been made aware of any problems or that he even had a social worker. She certainly knew how cross I was by the end of our call.

What do you do when children register with you? I have been told by my EYA that as long as we ask the question and parents choose not to share that information then 'we are covered' but that isn't good enough is it? Yes I would like to cover my back but I would more importantly want to protect the children in my care.

We were only inspected last year and now I have to face another one. OK rant over with -sorry it's so long.

Stressed, tired (still at work) and in need of a little TLC and advice from the forum please.

The more I read on this forum, the more I wonder why we do this job! I don't have any answers for you only that I have been in similar situations with not knowing the full facts behind families in my setting and it is infuriating when we are all supposed to be working together. At this time of night all I can do is send you a virtual hug and hope that things work out for you and your setting

The more I hear the more I realise that agencies are still not communicating effectively with one another - as you say, had you had all the information to hand you would have made quite a different judgement call on what needed to happen.

I'm sure that when Ofsted come to talk to you about it they will see that everything is in order and that you followed procedure appropriately. However as you quite rightly say, it isn't all about covering your back - and having it all turn out ok with regard to Ofsted won't mean you haven't been incredibly stressed by the whole experience. And scared by what the consequences of being kept in the dark might have meant for the children you care for.

There's not much I can offer in the way of support at this stage - but I hope you can more than just a virtual hug tonight. Sounds like you need it.

Keep coming back and ranting away if you need to, and let us know how things are going.

Take care.

• Like 1

Oh my snowdrop, not easy in our jobs is it. But you can only act on things you have or have been informed about.

My experience of some social workers in the past has been one of despair.( yes we know they work tirelessly too), but sometimes there are huge gaps in the system.

Just ensure you have noted all conversations, dates, times and actions taken and with whom.

It sounds from your post that you are a very proactive practitioner and take your safeguarding role very seriously with the children in your care, let's hope this is evident in any investigations and that you can continue to feel supported too.Fx

Guest sn0wdr0p

Thanks Max321. How on earth can we change the system to protect our children. Working together to safeguard children-rubbish-there are still massive gaps and I'm afraid it often looks to me that it is not people in early years but the social workers to blame. I could highlight so many more examples -it took 2 phone calls to our referral number then social workers about an issue last week and was told I didn't have much for them to go on as I didn't have the name of a baby or the address of it's mother who I know has had children removed from her care in the past (Not one of my families)- I had a very observant staff member who overheard a conversation between Mum and partner when out.. Finally I got to talk to her family support worker at the childrens centre (who fortunately knew the mothers history and me) and immediate action was then taken. If I had left it to the social workers I don't think it would have been followed up as it took me two days of persistence to get to speak to the family support worker.

I think it's time to head home for a cup of tea now. If Ofsted turn up in the morning at least I will have had some sleep. 1/4 of our team off with the dreaded diorrrhoea & sickness as well - a child was sick today when sat on my deputies knee and it went in her mouth - now that's worse than an ofsted inspection.! You have to laugh- I just have to make sure it doesn't turn into hysterical crying.

I just want to say that my thoughts are with you!

I still heartily believe we do our level best to gather the necessary information and to communicate our concerns BUT other agencies rarely get in touch with us, it is sad and a severe lack of communication which could cause a terrible disaster (AGAIN)

Parents though....... I had a child who was with me 3 weeks before Mum told us she was epileptic..................... Despite being asked if she had any illness, complaints, operations, medication for any reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK if the O people come. x x x x x x x

Snowdrop,eo sorry to hear your news. It's crappy isn't it. I am probably teaching you to suck eggs, but have you contacted ofsted yourself about the alleged complaint from the safeguarding board? Sometimes its good to give them your side of the story, ie demonstrate that you have absolutely nothing to hide, as indeed you do not. At least, that's what I would do.

just wanted to add my support snowdrop - communication often seems only one way , i have been fortunate that family support workers have been keen to get in touch and \i have spoke to our HV recently who came in for a visit to observe ( one of 2 ) and definitely the hands on one and her parting words were i'm really glad we can work together sharing info etc - music to my ears - keep up the good work , don't be knocked down as you are doing your job and more , let ofsted know this and write a formal complaint to the safeguarding board xx

Guest sn0wdr0p

Thanks Sue - I have printed it out and will have a good read over the weekend.

I am also working on a letter/complaint/strong suggestions to the head of children's services for our local authority.

I will feed back her response - if I receive one.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sn0wdr0p

As you may have seen from my other thread Ofsted have finally been following this concern-nearly four months after the event!! I am pleased to say that the inspector was wonderful, listened to my explanation (tried not to rant again) and agreed that I had followed procedure with the information I had to hand at the time - and followed the childcare register guidelines - this child is not in the early years.

I was really worried that I would be downgraded as I have heard that this has happened to many settings following a concern driven inspection but this did not happen.

All in all a really positive inspection with a lot of good advice. She was happy with the actions I had implemented and made some suggestions for further tweeks to ensure parents gave me full information.

Compliments need also to be given to the Early Years Advisors in East Yorkshire for the additional help and support since this happened which ensured I was confident about my safeguarding practice when questioned.

Phew - so glad they finally came.