Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

quick question

sorry all so many questions today. Out of interest who pays for planning and how much in terms of time do you pay?

For example we get paid half an hour a week but we do more and one of my staff have a problem with this. committee say no one pays for planning so just wondered if they were right?

this is kind of my problem. I agree in principle with staff member however my chair used to work in a setting years ago and says that no one gets paid for planning so the half hour we get is better than she ever was. I also think if they really wont budge and they wont pay more this staff member has said she wont come out of the principle of it, however I really see the benefit of having everyone at the planing meetings. It is hard!!!

My staff get between one and two hours a week to update Learning Journeys, depending on how many key children they have. Our baby room staff and toddler room staff each have an hour a week to plan together. The pre-school room have an hour and a half as there are more children and the planning is a bit more complex. All of this is done during the working day and all of it is paid. I think there has been a 'culture' in early years of doing a lot of unpaid work and I really try to avoid it. Having said that, as the manager and owner of my nursery I work so many hours I probably earn less than the minimum wage...but that's my problem I guess! :D

• Like 2

I wish I could pay more, but alongside that staff don't want to stay on late. On a Monday after lunch club we stay behind technically for half an hour and plan out the rest of the week, people should come to the meeting with ideas, with their childrens next steps and ready to talk ONLY ABOUT PLANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that.

Anyway we probably average 45 minutes, but sometimes parents are late picking up and that eats into our meeting time.

Anyway, I pay one and a half hours per week for planning and learning journeys, but I also feel I am kind enough to give time off paid for staff to go and see their childrens assemblies etc.,, allow their children in on inset days, pay for their training swings and roundabouts!

• Like 3

Years ago when I worked in a day nursery we never used to get any extra hours for planning or prep but things have moved on in early years so much since then. Why should we as professionals be expected to do a very important part of our job and not get paid for it??

• Like 1

Years ago when I worked in a day nursery we never used to get any extra hours for planning or prep but things have moved on in early years so much since then. Why should we as professionals be expected to do a very important part of our job and not get paid for it??

because teachers do the same?

We pay 1 hour per week to staff they plan individually for their key children.

I get paid 2 hrs to do the con. Provision planning and over look the planning that staff have done.

Is it enough .... No we work usually longer than we are paid BUT working some hours without pay goes with the territory is it right No but it's what we do because we love the job and want the best for the children we care for, we can't afford more

thanks everyone that was really helpful. As I have briefly mentioned on another post I feel respect goes along way even if the pay doesn't. We are better than some not as good as others, I was fine with the planning issue (even though I was raising it for another member of staff) but in discussing this my chair told me that the committee were unhappy paying us core hours for a session when the pre-school had to close through no fault of anyones especially not ours. This did make me mad and now I feel frustrated! she wouldn't have told me except that I had to raise the planning issue.! It is such a small thing and we are getting paid but the fact that there were people unwilling to pay us has made me feel really angry this morning. I do wonder sometimes whether I am just in the wrong job!!!!!!!

Panders, I had a similar meeting last week. Agenda: to discuss job descriptions. Minutes: Christmas party, entertainer, bouncy castle/disco, price of camera, price is photocopier, job descriptions!

Johanna, a chair I had wouldn't pay me more because she didnt want me to pay tax. I understand your frustration ;)