Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How many ways...

Froglet

...can you put a pair of PE shorts on?!

Today C started off by putting them on upside down with both legs through the same leg hole. Then right way up with both legs through the same leg hole. Then right way up, one leg in each hole but backwards. Then right way up, legs in right holes and on forwards. I was somewhat hysterical by the end of it all and wondering why on earth I'm not greyer than I am! I so wish mum had worked on the comment from pre-school about needing to develop independence in dressing!

There's the other child who cannot get his head round the fact that you don't take pants off for PE then couldn't find them again!

Then the girl who reminded me that we're almost in 'tights season'. :blink:

• Like 8

Funnily enough that's part of our school name! ;) We actually had a reasonable PE lesson miraculously enough although C did take more than half an hour to change back again afterwards. I do confess that I had lost a little of my calm and patient demeanour by the time all were dressed again! :ph34r:

Actually, it's not part of the school name at all - it's been a long day! Maybe it should be though... Perhaps I'll suggest it to the governors!

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 1

I used to spend a lot of time teaching mine how to undress so that I didnt actually have anyone prancing around naked after I had a small class but where nearly all the boys wanted to take their pants off!!

I also used to collect vests and shirts regularly too, rarely claimed, and the sight of everyone checking they had they vests on as I held up the spare always used to make me laugh!

• Like 2

Our uniform policy says that for PE children should have a spare pair of socks. I never make anyone change these and in the past it's never been an issue as the children didn't understand why on earth they had them. This year I seem to have a couple of very determined boys who are changing those socks no matter what!

I have a whole drawer full of socks which I collect after PE lessons even though I know they all went home with some on!

As for the children who never learn that undoing the second button on a polo shirt is necessary before taking it off (unless you have a very small head!)...

Susan - I start with a how to undress lesson too which includes the "Keep your pants on!" line and a reminder that it's not bath time!

• Like 2

Oh - I have a related question.......why (oh why) do little girls insist on taking their skirts off when they have a 'wee' :blink: I need to have myself recorded and playing on a 'loop' - it would go something like this:

"Boys - please try and make sure all of your 'wee' goes into the toilet"!

"Girls - please just lift your skirts up when you have a wee"!

:o :blink: :1b :DxD

• Like 5

I think I have quietly turned into Joyce Grenfell (showing my age now) with comments along the lines of

"Now young man would you like to make sure that your wee goes into the water in the toilet etc."

"Don't just stand there swaying around hold your ***** and point it into the water"

However not so long back one young man asked me "Would you like to hold it for me" - I politely declined you will be delighted to know xDxD

Also have the same problem with girls whipping off their skirts at all available opportunities a la Bucks Fizz

However my pet hates are belted trousers that children can't manage themselves, skinny jeans for children needing nappy changes and dungarees (which I have now banned as the straps end up down the loo). Soooooo unsavoury :1b

• Like 4

Makes me think of the boy last week who was painting a pair of trousers (a 'thank you for clothes' picture to hold for the harvest service) - he was telling me all about it..."that's the top, that's the legs, that's the bit where your willy goes, you know the bit where your willy goes!"

Also the time a couple of years ago when I went to the sea life centre with my sister and her children. My sister was giving my very new niece a discreet feed underneath a jumper and my nephew was desperate to go to the toilet so I took him. As we walked through the door one of those very noisy dryers started so he clamped his hands over his ears and refused to take them off. Trousers already round his ankles I had to 'hold it' for him or there would have been wee everywhere. I was filled with dread/guilt/I can't do that horrors until I reminded myself that he was my nephew not a child at school. I still confessed to my sister as soon as we got out just to hear her tell me it was ok!

• Like 3

I honestly think if I had a class of children and one of them had shorts on but back to front that's how they would have stayed...sometimes close enough is enough!!!!

I think we can get a bit stressed trying to get these things perfect, next time just say to him 'That's fine although you might like to wear them the other way round next time'

When you send a note out to parents next ask them to practice getting PE kit on with their children....you cant teach them everything. <_<

As for weeing in the bowl when son and heir was learning we used to have a little pot of cheerios (other cereals are available) and would drop one into the bowl to aim at....boys love a challenge :D

• Like 1

I remember collecting my son from reception- he emerged into the playground loaded up with lunch box, paintings, his Buzz Lightyear for 'show and tell' ....and he had his trousers on inside out and back to front. :D

• Like 3

I honestly think if I had a class of children and one of them had shorts on but back to front that's how they would have stayed...sometimes close enough is enough!!!!

I think we can get a bit stressed trying to get these things perfect, next time just say to him 'That's fine although you might like to wear them the other way round next time'

Sue, please don't think I normally do this. :( I have no idea why I did on this occasion. Usually as long as they have it on and can move I'm happy.

• Like 1

I seem to have an abundance of girls that wear 2 pairs of pants at the moment...1 under their tights and one over the top! Apparently it keeps their tights up but it makes PE hard work...I'm never quite sure if they leave with pants on or not!

• Like 1