Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is a DBS check needed?

Hi all

We have one of our parents coming in for 2hrs each week just because she has asked to.

She will never be left on her own with the children or deal with any toileting etc.

Do you think I need to get a DBS check done?

I would in your situation - you say she will 'never' be left alone but what if an emergency arises - if you were to be taken ill or something or a child ? If somebody is planned to be with you for regular hours over a period of time a DBS check is needed in my opinion, and students who are often with you less time have a check - so why not a regular volunteer parent ? It gives you some peace of mind - and shows she understands the importance of safeguarding and compliance when she agrees to complete the check.

• Like 3

as it is a regular arrangement then she should have one... if once a term or less often then not needed..

it is all about the frequency of being with the children... whilst she may not be on her own and supervised the children are getting to know her as a person to trust.. no idea what 'could' happen outside the setting if they see her as a trusted adult..

• Like 5

That's what I thought too!

She is also volunteering at the local school so if she has a DBS check with them do we still need to do one? I'm a bit confused with the new DBS checks instead of CRBs

Edited by klc106

My understanding is that if she has one of the new online DBS checks you don't have to do another one as it will stand for you too- and you can check it on-line ? Not tried it out yet myself so would be interested to hear if this is the case ?

That's what I thought too!

She is also volunteering at the local school so if she has a DBS check with them do we still need to do one? I'm a bit confused with the new DBS checks instead of CRBs

My understanding is that you will be able to check her DBS only if she has also signed up to the 'update service'

At our LEA briefing they stressed that if you don't sign up to this 'update service' then your DBS check is only valid for the setting you obtained it for (like your CRB is now) and you (as employer) wouldn't be able to check it

The update service has a yearly fee think it was something like £14

Stand to be corrected though as it all seems very confusing!!

Edited by thumperrabbit
  • Like 1

yes i would do one for her but if she has a new dbs she MAY be able to register for the update service (if she's quick!)

info here...

https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service

BTW students are often exempt from needing dbs' because they are not left unsupervised and there is an exemption rule for them which applies if they are doing work experience

you can only register as an employee for the update service if your DBS check was done on or after 17 JUne 2013- therfore if you have a CRB check - you would need to reapply for a new DBS check and then register -new check £52 -update register annual fee £13

as an employer you can check free of charge but only if the employee/volunteer has joined the register and if they hold a new DBS certfiicate.

what a load of hollihocks !!!!!!!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I need to crb/dbs for someone starting as a student ( to old for college to do ) so even though volunteering really they will be working towards a qualification so not really a volunteer in eyes of ofsted...but now unsure if I should use ofsted/capita though not classed as volunteer or TMG though not being employed like other staff who we use TMG for....help!!!! .still totally confused :/

My belief and from reading all this is

Only ones that need to go via Ofsted are the management... be they a committee, trustees, or owners or whatever the registered body is... I would include the person in day to day charge .. main manager/supervisor or whatever they are called...( but have seen some say they need no longer be done this way.. but this would need checking .. I would personally expect them to need an Ofsted check)

all others, be they deputy, staff, volunteers, students etc can be done via your regular company...

as to if they can be classed as a volunteer or not... it gets so confusing.. they work without pay, but gaining a qualification.. so may be better to pay for a full one and be done with it... that is what I would do... treat them the same as for all staff..

would be so much easier for all if they did a definite list of guidelines with what to do..maybe there is one somewhere?

• Like 1