Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Putting baby to sleep on their front!

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

We had a new baby (5 months) start today and mum asked her key worker to put her on her front to sleep. I have said that Mum needs to sign a form stating this and pointed out that this goes against current guidance but mum maintains baby sleeps better this way but I am still uncomfortable doing this. Has anyone else faced this issue.

Front and side was the only way when mine were babies. At 5 months she might be able to roll over on her own anyway so I'd just make sure she's checked on regularly, every 10 minutes at some settings i worked in.

Edited by Rea

Guest sn0wdr0p

We check every ten minutes and fortunately our babies sleep in a divived off area of the room so we can keep a very close eye on them.

Mine always slept on their front, with knees drawn up usually! The mattresses had penny sized holes through them so they would have been fine face down, but their heads were turned one way or the other anyway.. Back in the 80's the advice was not to put on backs or they may choke on phlegm or vomit.

1990, hospital used rolled up blanket at Sam's back so he couldn't roll onto his back, 1993 Rich was allowed on his back. Both were allowed duvets but now its not recommended and as to food I was allowed...Everything changes, i think we just need to apply common sense and risk assess each situation.

Both my children would only sleep on their fronts, even when in their prams. 26 year old son still sleeps on his front! As long as the child is checked regularly, which I'm sure is the case for every child however they sleep, there shouldn't be a problem. It could cause more problems by going against parent's wishes and what makes the child feel safe and comfortable. As Rea says, common sense and risk assessment is the way to go.

I don't 'deal with' babies in a professional capacity - so perhaps I shouldn't comment.......but I feel that I have to say - that in my humble opinion - research cannot and should not be ignored.........

The Back to Sleep Campaign has resulted in SIDs dropping by half - that is an astonishing and wonderful achievement.........

I don't think this is a suitable subject for too much "in my day" type commenting - certainly 'in my day' my sons slept on their fronts - that was the advice given at that time.......

As I said not my area of expertise - but I would certainly, definitely want this parent to make this a written request - this to be filed very carefully and safely..........I understand your comment about 10 minute checks - but really would could happen in those 10 minutes.........

Off to take cover now......

• Like 2

I was just about to say something similar sunnyday, so glad you got there first. This is an extremely serious topic and the research and subsequent advice has saved a lot of babies lives.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/reducing-the-risk-of-cot-death

When your baby is aged about 5-6 months they will normally start to be able to roll over. At first, if you find that your baby has rolled over on to their front, then turn them back on to their back. However, you do not need to keep on checking in the night. Soon, they will be able to roll over and back again on their own and, like adults, they will toss and turn in their sleep. When they can do this it is fine for your baby to find their own position to sleep. The risk of cot death falls sharply at this age and it is safe for them to sleep in whatever position they like.

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

I don't want to put babies at risk, nor do I want to ignore parents wishes, nor do I want to be sued if something happens. Do you think if a parent signs a disclaimer which states they have read the available evidence and have discussed it with us that is enough. I realise that this five month old can roll herself anyway but I want to know should this ever crop up again.

Been thinking about this. As a childminder babies usually have daytime sleep in a buggy - to and from activities and just being rocked. What if...you told mum you would put baby in a cot on tummy, but oops...baby went to sleep in the buggy when we went outside...seems to like it there...would you mind?...

H x

Guest sn0wdr0p

When I childminded I used to pop the children in a buggy in the back garden - oh happy days.

Guest sn0wdr0p

No it's her second child, late 20s. It is simply because she says baby sleeps better that way.

I'm a mum of a baby, 7months and she has slept on her front for months. I read the advice, I feel I am quite an educated person and I wouldn't say I ignored it because, as you quite rightly say, it is an extremely important issue. But my daughter just would not go to sleep on her back in her cot (which we also moved her to earlier than advice states) so we decided ofr our own sanity that we would try her on her front and she has slept very well ever since. When she started at nursery I told them that this is how she slept but that if they didn't feel comfortable then that was fine - and they don't she sleeps in a pram, which is fine but she has to be rocked to sleep when on her back and she doesn't need this on her front so it sets us up for the next few days when she's at home getting her to sleep again. However, they don't make bottles according to current guidelines so.........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)