Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New class visit day - take home activity

Hello all,

My new class are visiting for the morning tomorrow. I had an idea of sending each one home with a t-shirt outline on brightly coloured card and a note asking them to decorate over the summer with pictures and photos of things that were special to them or that they'd done over the summer then bring back to school their first week.

I thought it would give me an early insight into some of their interests as well as a talking point.

I also thought I could cut them out, hang them on a washing line and make a nice, cheery and almost instant display early in the autumn term.

It would also work as something I could give the 6 children who are staying with me as Y1s something to do as well.

However, I'm now getting slightly cold feet and worrying that it's not fair to give 'homework' before they've even started school or that this is too much to ask. What do the rest of you think? Do any of you do similar activities?

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 2

I think it's a lovely idea too. It's hardly arduous homework! I manage a day nursery and I think all of our four-year-olds moving up to school (from craft-obsessed girls to Ben10-obsessed boys, not that I'm generalising ;)) would love it.

• Like 2

One of our local schools does something similar... but involves the preschool they attend as well

, parents and children love it.

they give each child a plain paper bag.. it is the sort with handles like a gift bag.. and ask them to decorate it in preschool before they leave.. they then ask parents to help the child put in a few small items of things they did over the break, or something that they have made to take in to the school with them.. these are then displayed for all to see at school in the classroom.

• Like 1

This year I have given the children a task to Make and fill a treasure chest over the summer. I gave them a label to decorate in their welcome pack then suggested that they use a shoe box to make their treasure chest. I have said they can put anything in their treasure chest that is special to them or that they have done over the summer like a shell, a photo of their holiday a leaflet etc. I have asked that the treasure chest be available for the home visit so we have something they can talk to us about when we come but that we will use the boxes as a talking point when they come to school in september. I havn't done anything like this before but my daughter had to do this before she started at pre school and it was something we really enjoyed doing together so I thought I'd try it this year.

Deb

I used to give mine a picture to colour from a selection that I took with me when I home visited and encourage them to return it to school when they started and I displayed them. No pressure to complete but a little sticker if they did so. I also made sure I had some available if children then wanted to take another because the first had been mislaid.

Guest sn0wdr0p

What super ideas. I run a day nursery and when I do a home visit for children who come via 2 year funding I take glue, stickers, paper plates etc. and let the child decorate it then when I return to the setting I put it on display in their room so they see it when they start.

Last year we gave all the children a pretty sheet with 'these are a few of my favourite things' on and invited the child to decorate it anyway they wanted. We admired and collected them on home visits. As previously commented we too had some extras with us just incase! Then, using a polywallet book, gathered them all together. We've had 'Our Favourite Things' in the book corner for the children to use, and they have really enjoyed looking through it and talking about it. Each 'page' is very different, some photos, colouring, sticking, painting!

• Like 2

Guest tinkerbell

We did the shoebox idea last year for the first time and the parents love it.I did a mini demo with my own shoe box at the parents evening ,I had a photo of my family,an onion because I am a keen gardener ,a ball of wool and knitting needles,a book.We show the children the box that is highly decorated with stickers and pictures and they make their own over the summer.The family )photo is removed and we make a lovely family photo display with captions (words that the children tell us).This worked really well last year it was an idea that was introduced at Early Excellence.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I just wanted to update you all on how this went and say thank you again for your feedback/ideas/reassurance. My children started on Thursday, all but 1 of them has brought the t-shirt back (and I think she will once mum/dad see the others up on the wall - they had a brand new baby just before the summer holiday so I'm sure things have been a little busy for them!) Everyone has done a great job and they have been a real talking point. Great prompts for me to ask questions because I can say things like "Who's this?" rather than "Who's in your family?" Some have stuck lots of photos, others have added shells or collaged sheep (to represent a farm visit), there have been cinema tickets etc.

As we've started to talk through them we've started to pick out similarities between different children - "Oh look Billy caught a crab/went to see Monsters University too" It's been a great insight to one little one with a language disorder which I knew about but which is hard to pick up/explain (he appears very articulate and confident on first meeting) but talking the t-shirt through really showed some of the issues he has.

We printed backing paper for the display yesterday and I put it up after school tonight. All that remains is to actually peg the t-shirts to the washing line on Monday. Talking of which - does anyone know where I could get some miniature pegs from? I had some I bought in IKEA years ago but it turns out I don't have enough for this.

Would anyone like to see a photo when it's finally up on the wall?

• Like 2

mini pegs.. try a craft area in a shop.. The Works... or The Range.. both have them locally.. they are used in craft and card making..

I used all mine or would send you them..

Glad it all worked out well.. often the simplest ideas are the ones that give the most pleasure and interest . and as a bonus in this case give instant display ..

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)