Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would you report this to ofsted?

I have a friend who has a 2 year old in a local nursery. She is beside herself as the nursery is understaffed, ratio's incorrect, poor hygiene and to cap it all the deputy manager walked out in tears the other day.

Rumours are rife that members of staff are unqualified and even that some lied about qualifications.

Would ofsted treat her worries seriously? She is trying to find a new setting for her child, but her choices are limited due to location etc.

She has tried to speak to management, but she feels that due to her age (she is only 20) they fob her off.

I would say yes, go ahead and inform ofsted, but she is scared in case the nursery find out who reported them.

As a nursery manager myself I think it is appalling, but I can only support my friend. Any advice please?

If she is worried about the care that her child is getting and breaches of statutory regulations then yes she should contact Ofsted - better that than some harm come to her child or anyone else's attending that setting.

• Like 1

I would say yes report to Ofsted. I am not sure but can you do this anonymously?

Although I have to say I know a setting near us was caught by a member of staff not having ordered enough lunches, they then were heard to say take the lunch away from a particular boy who could not speak (and had already started the lunch) as he would not be able to tell his parents, where as the child without a dinner could. She was horrified and walked out. To this day I do not know if it was true or not but Ofsted just phoned the manager and said was this true, she said no and the matter was dropped.

Ofsted will NOT tell the setting who has reported them. She should go ahead and report them without delay. Forget 'rumours', deal in straight facts as she knows them, rumours only muddle the waters....but she could ask that qualifications are verified , perhaps?

Edited by narnia
  • Like 1

Yes I would do this as a matter of urgency,we all have a duty of care to our young children to do so.

Make sure she has all the facts and not hearsay to aid Ofsted in an inspection.

Your friend probably already knows what she should do, hoping she gets support too, as not a nice thing to have to do.:(

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely report to Ofsted. The staff manning the phones will be sympathetic and help her to list her complaints and concerns concisely- or she could of course write, but this seems urgent to me, and I think a phone call soon is the best course of action. Her name will not come up when the nursery is contacted by Ofsted, but as Hali says, it may well trigger an early unannounced inspection.

• Like 2

She needs to inform Ofsted asap. This nursery seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

She shouldn't be fobbed off because she is 'only 20yrs'. Im sure that Ofsted will take her concerns very seriously.

Has she spoken to any other parents? Are they concerned also?

I have passed on all your advice, and she now knows which course of action to take. Thank you all very much. I hope this is sorted out quickly. Thanks again . :1b

we had a new member of staff who left her previous setting due to concerns - she wrote to ofsted with these - they then phoned the setting advisng them they would be in on certain day - which meant that they knew to be fully staffed etc., - ofsted came had no concerns then said they would be in within next 28 days to do further check.of course the setting kept staff ratios ets good until they came again - they got an outstanding - then left and ratios are i expect incorrect again .

makes my blood boil x