Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

MAKATON SIGNS

If you have done the training do you not have the manual with the signs which you can then photocopy or scan?

Edited by max321

I think Rufus you are right.....it is a breach of copyright. However, if you are supporting a child by introducing Makaton.....do the parents have the books. We were able to borrow nursery rhyme books from a parent. I was trained to level 4 to support the child and then used the Makaton resources from the course......training the rest of the team in the basic signs. Once learned though you have to keep using it......or you lose it!

If you look at Mr Tumble online, you will find lots of really nice printable signs (it's fine to print these). They come in a square divided into four with sign, symbol, photo and word. We've got lots.

The Makaton signs are copyrighted and the ones you get in the manuals are tiny!

As has been said previously, Something Special has some great resources you can download and there are clips of Justin using individual signs which is a great help when you're learning them. I would recommend learning 4 basic signs and when all staff are using these consistently with all children throughout the session (remembering to say the word as they sign) then gradually introduce more. You'll find the children pick up the signs quicker than you do!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/something-special/watch

If you look at Mr Tumble online, you will find lots of really nice printable signs (it's fine to print these). They come in a square divided into four with sign, symbol, photo and word. We've got lots.

The Makaton signs are copyrighted and the ones you get in the manuals are tiny!

we've made a book of these that is available in the book corner all the time...good reminder for all!!

The first signd we learnt and used were water/milk/toilet and sit. Twinkle twinkle is good to learn to sign and 5 little speckled frogs....the sign for toilet is incredibly useful when you are in a crowded room and want to tell someone you're going for a wee!! xD

• Like 2

our area senco came in and gave signing through the day training - I learnt makaton some 20 years ago and never forgot it - possibly because we were told the meanings and I did use it alot . It is important to sign only those signs that are relevant to the setting and child . We have also always signed our grace before snack and lunch and they follow this on at school too . There are some signs that you can download from the Makaton website but many have to be purchased - have you asked your senco or SLT ??

I bought a pack of laminated cards to use when we had a child using makaton. They are slightly bigger than a playing card and we still use them.

Edit-I've found them on-line and they are British sign language but maybe worth having a look on this site

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Lets-Sign-BSL-Flashcards-Cath-Smith/9780954238452

Edited by Guest

I use Signalong with my children; sadly the Signalong Group has ceased trading (May 2013); however Signalong, I'm sure, will live on! Like Makaton (the signs are very similar and many are the same), it is based on BSL and there were several downloadable signs on the 'Hello.org.uk' website.

I have attached some which may be useful (I have more if anyone is interested - there is a Goldilocks story on the 'Communication 4 All' website) - all are downloadable.

Hope it's of use!

x

Signalong download - 2011 Year of communication.pdf

Signalong - Summer - July 2012.pdf

Signalong - Morning.pdf

• 3 months later...

If you go onto the makaton website, its www.makaton.org you can download free resources, they are really handy. and show you how to do the signs.

Also they put on certain ones for different times of the year, like they have recently put on harvest ones for harvest festival. Last year they put on some for Halloween, Definitely worth a look. I have a folder full of signs :):)

we always use a bit of makaton (and have done for some years now) but this year we have two children who are using it all the time so i am trying to practise ....Mr Tumble is my new hero!

BTW does anyone know the sign for hippo.......i think its clenched hands being used for jaws...does anyone know if i should have my fingers and thumbs like 'teeth' for this though (a bit like the airoplane sign but mirrored on each hand)

ok have just re-read this and i have confused myself!! :blink: :blink:

if you can make sense of my explanation award yourself a gold star! :D

Okay three middle fingers clenched with two thumbs and both little fingers touching.

Oh crumbs not sure that makes sense at all, check out you tube hippo sign.:))

yes i think thats what i was trying to explain (badly!!!) Thank you very much ....had a little boy looking very confused on friday!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Signalong with my children; sadly the Signalong Group has ceased trading (May 2013); however Signalong, I'm sure, will live on! Like Makaton (the signs are very similar and many are the same), it is based on BSL and there were several downloadable signs on the 'Hello.org.uk' website.

I have attached some which may be useful (I have more if anyone is interested - there is a Goldilocks story on the 'Communication 4 All' website) - all are downloadable.

Hope it's of use!

x

Hello there would you be able to give me some more of those Signalong attachmenst if possible, they are just what I am looking for

Regards

Sharon Lucas

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)