Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ICAN accreditation

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of ICAN and if anyone had their setting accredited? We have been approached to get this up and running in our setting but we dont know much about it other than two practitioners are required to do the course. It said it would ideally be the SENCo as one of the practitioners but I dont think this is practical for us and my manager wants me to do it with a colleague. I would be grateful for any information anyone can pass on! Thanks in advance. :1b

HI there

Are you also aware of theElklan accreditation fro Communication Friendly school status? I am just completing the year long course. Cheaper than I CAN.

Just a thought.

Elklan is held in high regard. Info is on their website.

We aren't accredited by ICAN but did bits of their training as part of our ECaT (Every Child a Talker) accreditation. The training was excellent and gave us lots to think about as a team. Their training on partnership with parents in supporting their child's communication skills is very good.

• Like 1

Thanks Kate and Beehive. Useful information. ECAT is something else I'd love to do to!! So much to do so little time!

Hi jazzy1 - we have also been approached about this training - we were told 2 x practitioners for 5 days and then sharing of plans to gain accreditation.....we are all already ICAN trained but that was a few years ago......

Ah yes sunnyday, this is perhaps the same (as we are kent too) . Do you think it matters if its not the SENCo? We are such a small team and she has so much else on. I guess I was wanting to know if there was alot of written work or is it using your every day practice? :blink:

It really interests me/us but we havent done anything like it before. Would it be a mountain to climb? value your opinion as you have previously done some training in that area.

Our school SENCo has done ECAT but I really feel someone working in EYFS (Me?! ;) ) needs to do it ( or something similar)as her time is spread so widely I don't think we've benefited. Can't find any information on training- hopefully there might be some for the new school year.

Any course suggestions would be very welcome!

Ah yes sunnyday, this is perhaps the same (as we are kent too) . Do you think it matters if its not the SENCo? We are such a small team and she has so much else on. I guess I was wanting to know if there was alot of written work or is it using your every day practice? :blink:

It really interests me/us but we havent done anything like it before. Would it be a mountain to climb? value your opinion as you have previously done some training in that area.

I remember the original training as being very good - I'm not sure how much 'written work' you would need to produce for accreditation.......why not seek some advice from your SIP :1b

Ahh, thats our stumbling block sunnyday,,,been unlucky with our SIP, very unsupportive in most of what we do. :angry:

Hi yes we've just completed the accreditation, it was really good two of my staff did the training sessions ( off the top of my head I think it was 3/4 sessions for 4 hrs a time ) and then as a team we had to produce a portfolio. The examiners then came to visit the setting on two occasions and were told at the end of the last one we'd passed with flying colours :) a lot of the stuff we where doing already ie visuals, make ton but they also wanted to know a lot about our senco work and work with parents. Worth doing would be my advise, if you need any support I'd be happy to help, good luck x

• Like 1

Hi yes we've just completed the accreditation, it was really good two of my staff did the training sessions ( off the top of my head I think it was 3/4 sessions for 4 hrs a time ) and then as a team we had to produce a portfolio. The examiners then came to visit the setting on two occasions and were told at the end of the last one we'd passed with flying colours :) a lot of the stuff we where doing already ie visuals, make ton but they also wanted to know a lot about our senco work and work with parents. Worth doing would be my advise, if you need any support I'd be happy to help, good luck x

Woh, thanks for this. useful to know that settings are actually 'up and running' with recent training and finding it useful.

How long did it take to complete? Did you find the training stressful or genuinely helpful within your practice? What I mean is did you feel you had to change anything significant just to tick a box? I think training like this would help us/be useful but i think we would worry if everything had to be done a specific, ICAN (?) way (if you see what I mean??!!! :blink: )

Actually I'm confusing myself now!!

Lol to be honest it was a little telling granny how to suck eggs !! If your using a lot of the é cat techniques ie 10 top tips, visual timetables, makaton etc you will really need to do anything extra as such. The planning we had to tweak a bt and had sheets for specific areas and then targeted language for that area to specific children and put it on the wall so all practioners could see it. At the visit they just wanted to see you actually using the techniques and the portfolio just meant writing a short paragraph and taking lots of photos for evidence. We split the portfolio so that each member of staff had a section. But yes def made us realise that actually we do an alright job lol !

Brilliant! Sounds like we do a lot of it but would enhance our Setting and developement. Thanks for your reply.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)