Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

steroids in nursery

Does anyone have the use of steroids in their medication policy? A child may be prescribed steroids for a few days to fight off a pending asthma attack. Should the child be excluded as for the first 48 hrs of anti biotics? What are your views? Do you have a policy that accounts for this?

We have a child with severe asthma and he is on steroids every few weeks at the moment. We do allow him in while he is on them but as he only attends 3 hour sessions his mum gives them him before/after pre-school so we do not have to.

I never had a problem with playgroup or school when my son was on them. I cant remember the dosage he had, but only I ever had to give it.

Steroids arent the same as antibiotics. They arent fighting an illness, they are helping the body to recover from an attack.

http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-treatment-and-medicines-steroid-tablets

Edited by Rea

Hi fairfielddn, I'm not sure what you mean. Are the parents asking you to give this medication.

This would normally be given first thing in the morning or last thing at night, with a gradual decreasing of dosage. They give steroids usually when inhalers alone are not controlling the condition. So i'm not sure why you would require it within your policies.

My son is also a severe asthmatic, I certainly wouldn't have expected a setting to administer them. Another pointer if the child is on steroids they may initially be quite wheezy and generally out of sorts, so not really well enough for your provision.

Hope this helps.Fx

I have bad bouts of Asthma and have to take steroids every now and then for a period six days. They can give me a "high" or make me very stressed and weepie so I guess the same could happen to children too.

They are completely different to antibiotics which are used to fight infection, the steroids are prescribed to strengthen the lungs and airways after all the extra work they have been doing with fighting an infection which has aggravated the asthma making it very hard to control.

I hope this helps

If my daughter had not been allowed in a setting when taking steroids she would never have been there! They are usually give in one dose usually in a morning (my daughter takes 8 at a time) they taste horrible so the problem was getting her to take . She now takes caffeine tablets which have been a god send so the 'high' from steroids don't come close to a child on caffeine tablets :). She has to carry a card saying she's on or had steroid treatment for 1 year after she's had a course and it states that if you have never had chickenpox you should avoid people who have chicken pox or shingles and if you do accidently come in contact a doctor so that may have implications for your setting???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)