Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Committee members using Preschool funds to fund courses for themselves

Can a committee member use preschool money to pay for courses she is attending. They are related to child care however the staff feel they could have attended them as they are in the setting every day and the money she is spending could be used else where. Not sure where we stand or how to deal with this.

Any advice please.

I think the relevance of the course to their role as a committee member would be the issue here. If relevant, then could be seen as a justifiable expense, if not relevant, then might be seen as a "payment in lieu" which would not be appropriate at all.

• Like 2

I think the relevance of the course to their role as a committee member would be the issue here. If relevant, then could be seen as a justifiable expense, if not relevant, then might be seen as a "payment in lieu" which would not be appropriate at all.

They could be described as relevant, however where does it end and should committee members come before staff ? To us it looks as if she is boosting her own CV at the expense of our setting.

Totally agree with eyfs1966, it really depends on the course undertaken and to whom it is going to benefit.

If it is not the Pre-school then I would deem that inappropriate use of funds.

All decisions like these should have been agreed by all members so I think I would question.:)

Very difficult one..............and I agree with eyfs 1966........IF it helps with her role in the committee, I guess you would find it hard to challenge her. But I would probably point out at the next meeting, that in future staff should be offered any training opportunities first, as they can share their knowledge and are more likely to still be with the setting in a years time, when many committees change. I'd also be concerned if she was taking up training in precedence to staff.............in other words, did staff know about the training and were they offered the chance to go?? If not, why not?? If they were, then why didn't they go on it ( because it's hard to complain that the committee person took it over staff if the staff just didn't want to do it?)

Our staff have to agree to refund their training costs if they leave the setting within a certain time after completing a course - would a similar condition have been placed on your committee member? Difficult to comment without knowing what the training was, but it does seem odd. Are the staff unable to do the training - perhaps because of lack of cover for daytime courses - I know this is an issue in our pre school.

Jo

I would say this is ok as long as the committee are aware and have agreed (i would tell them you would rather have spent the money on cpd for your staff) I firmly believe committees need more training (as governors get in schools)

depends on the course.and costs involved

. would it be relevant to a committee role or staff role.. maybe you should ask for her to cascade the information to all in a training session so you all learn form her course... that is what we used to do with any training.. only ones committee did not cascade to staff were the ones relevant to their roles...however they did have to give some training and information they had learnt to the new committee member who took over the role when they left

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)