Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Zog!

Hi,

After constantly hearing about 'Mike the Knight' and seeing groups of knights chasing away the dragon before Easter, I thought it might be nice to look at the story 'Zog'. I just wondered if anybody had done any activities based on this that they thought worked well?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place :/

Hi, Lea87, and welcome to the forum. Did you know that there is a Gruffalo hidden in the pictures in the book, as there are in a few of Julia's books. There's an activity right there, with magnifying glasses, being detectives!

How about junk modelling a dragon, or rescuing your own princess through various challenges - making bridges, traversing bigs etc.

I will keep thinking

HI I've coppied an old plan from last year, (sorry can't seem to see how to attach...doh) I used Zog when we did a castle topic and built on it throughout the week, the class really loved the dragon egg nest that was left in the classroom,(they were green and still warm when the children found them) it propmted lots for letter writing to/from the mummy dragon and the children.

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

TARGETED SUPPORT DURING INTRODUCTION

Input in preparation for the topic. Sir Charlie Stinky Socks. How to Train Your Dragon.

Teacher input and activities

Trip to Stafford Castle

At lunch read……

Zog by Julia Donaldson

LEAVE DRAGON EGGS IN CLASSROOM FOR CHILDREN TO FIND ON TUESDAY.

Starter small input? Maths Focus

Chn should have found the dragon eggs. With nest making materials and blankets feathers hay etc….encourage speculation re care of eggs.

Read Zog by Julia Donaldson

Ask the question; “What does a dragon look like?” Elicit stereotypes from pupils e.g. green, scaly,

wings, fire-breathing, sharp teeth etc. Ask pupils to think about a dragon that they are going to design.

/ What will it look like?

/ How will it behave?

/ Is it friendly or fierce?

/ What is the dragon’s story?

Use dragon outline for writing/drawing

PPA/Phonics/Numeracy Input

Mop UP Literacy Work.

Hi, Lea87, and welcome to the forum. Did you know that there is a Gruffalo hidden in the pictures in the book, as there are in a few of Julia's books. There's an activity right there,

well i don't know how many times i've read this book and i never knew that!! (Sneaks off to go and have a look.......magnifying glass in hand :ph34r::ph34r: )

• Like 1

As well as Zog, he's in Stick Man, Tiddler, Superworm, Tabby McTat and Snail & The Whale. Can't think of any others at the mo. Not in all of them, I don't think she started doing it early on,

Cait - what others is he in? I know he's in the Gruffalo.

Duh! I meant I know he's in Tiddler! :huh: I've only got stick man of the others - am going a hunting now!

...found him! Am going to set my sister searching through Highway Rat and Snail and the Whale!

Edited by HelenD26

Thanks for your replies- I love the idea of the dragon eggs!!

Im definately going to get the children searching for the Gruffalo too.. gives me the perfect opportunity to bring in Julias other books (which I probably love more than the kids do)

Thanks again :)

Edited by Guest

lea87 - I'm sorry I can't really help on the Zog front, I'm afraid I've never read it - I have done castles/knights a few times with my reception children though if you end up going down that route.

However, I did feel that I needed to confess to having been in Tesco this morning, seeing a shelf full of Julia Donaldson books and flicking through them to find the gruffalo. I found him in:

Tabby McTat, Highway Rat and Snail and the Whale but not in Zog! However, while looking I did find Stick Man in Tabby McTat. I don't think I was giggling and talking to myself too loudly! :ph34r:;)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)