Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

License for music and tv

Hello All, I am from a charity run pre-school and am worried with regards licenses for music and dvds. Is this something we should have? We play music at PE time and on the odd occasion the children have sat down and watched a dvd. Should we have a license to do this? I will be calling the PSLA tomorrow see what they say but if anyone has any info or useful links that would be fab. Thanks in advance.

I think its to do with a public performance licence being needed if a DVD or CD is not being used for your 'personal use' several years ago we removed our video recorder because of these regulations but when I spoke to them I could use CD for 'educational purposes' e.g playing world music as a teaching aid. Try looking at http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/Businesses/Why-do-I-need-a-licence/

Edited by max321

I think we're all supposed to have one but I believe if its for an educational purpose it can be waived. At least thats what my sons secondary school used to say! It also depends what music you're using, some say they can be used.

http://www.prsformusic.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/PPS%20Tariffs/N-2012-02%20Tariff.pdf

This is interesting. We've never had one and with the constraints on our budget we probably never will :ph34r:

Guest sn0wdr0p

Yes we did ours through MPLC a couple of months ago. I had looked into it all about 5 years ago and was told we didn't need one as such a small number of children watched them (this was from someone at Buena Vista) but on looking into it again decided we really did need one. We got the letter from MPLC which concered me that we were on a list somewhere and would be checked at some point in the future. I think the rules may be different for charities but not sure. If you phone MPLC I found them very friendly and helpful.

That will be two of us making like ostriches then! xD :lol: :o :blink: xD :lol:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, just check out the fines for non-compliance, I can remember them being quite steep when I was making enquiries in the past. However in 21 years I have never had anyone come and check if I had a licence so will be joining you in pleading ignorance and Gangham Style will continue to be played frequently and loudly by my 3year olds

Yes we have one from a company called MPLC. It costs about £100 per year. Plus we have to have a TV license too!!

Our TV is an old one and will only play DVD's. Do we need a TV licence too? Haven't used it yet, but will be using it for Jolly Phonics DVD soon.

Is going to pretend I haven't seen this thread and carry on in ignorant bliss ;p

Has anyone actually ever been prosecuted for this.....to be fair in all the years I've worked in EC I am yet to hear about a prosecution....... (with this attitude I bet I will be the first to be convicted!!!! hahahaha!!!!!!) xD :lol: :ph34r:

Thanks for all the feedback.. its all still very confusing as our new treasurer has said that our landlords license wouldn't cover us as its not an educational license. We rent our hall from the parish!

I will have to give them a call... but who do I call?? lol this is a nightmare :-(

I'm sure you are covered if the hall has a license. I've not heard of an educational license - we don't have one, just a standard one. We used to be in a village hall type building and are now in our own premises but the license is exactly the same. It just gives you permission to play DVD's to the public. No specification as to what those DVD's are.

http://www.themplc.co.uk/page/faqs

Maybe have a look here.