Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

sharing Information with other EYFS settings

Guest griffclan

Guest griffclan

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone has got a format that they use to share information with another setting (if child is attending more than 1 setting) and also how often do you share information? Have you got a policy to back this up or do you just do it?

many thanks

Helen

I have one will try to attach, we had no response what so ever from settings we sent it to though!! We send our report with one of these sheets attached for them to fill in and return or return their own version, either way. Find settings never want to share information with another setting, despite what EYFS say! We don't have a policy because that would be even more paperwork and we share this info once a term with other settings.

Parent has to sign to give permission for it to be sent to the other setting and they get parent to sign again when sending information back to us.Communication between settings.doc

]These days we don't share many children and like Hoolahoney have never yet had a reply for the few we do. It's really odd 'cos they all 'say' they communicate with other settings! Our local Voluntary preschools (all sessional) have a twice yearly get together when we talk about transition and share info (confidentially) on shared children. Parents sign up to this at registration. This is what we use.

Shared settings for forum.docx

korkycat

You have no idea how much these replies have cheered me up!!

We have several children who attend more than one setting and several with childminders, spending the majority of the funded time in the week with us. We have a form for parents to complete naming the settings, key worker and giving permission to share. We also fill in a weekly sheet which we send to the other settings. So far we have (since Sept) had a couple of replies for 1 child from a pre school, the other pre schools and nurseries have not even acknowledged our contact. :( We visited another school nursery and they said they are not doing anything towards working with other settings or child minders as it's too time consuming. The child minders however are fabulous! :D They complete their input, including anything they do towards targets and next steps and share any issues and concerns. I think they all see it as a great way to show Ofsted they are working collaboratively , so for us, it's a massive thumbs up to child minders!! :D ::1a

• Like 1

Please may I second the 'thumbs up' for the childminders - we have a great working relationship with ours too :1b

We have had some (actually very little) success with other settings........to be honest I always make the running - no other setting has ever made contact first :( more worryingly I have a letter that I send and would be very happy to share.......but........it seems to have somehow disappeared from my system :o

• Like 2

I've also had fab responses from childminders, but nothing back from other settings. Yet mysteriously on their Ofsted reports it always says they work very well in partnership with other settings the children attend and share information regularly! Hmm do they or is it that they keep all the info we used to send and just imply they return the favour?

Guest griffclan

Thank you all so much for your replies. I only have 1 child who attends another setting and she is with a childminder so judging from your comments I can look forward to some positive information sharing !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi am i the only person on the planet who does not have the updated version of word? i cannot open the above docs can some kind person convert them for me please i will be so grateful.

i just thought I would add that I too have had no response from other settings but childminders always deliver the goods! lol funny how the other settings do not seem to want to share .....at least I can prove I try to ofsted if they ask! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,
I am resurrecting this post but thought it would be better than starting a new one on the same subject.
Doesn't everything seem to go around and around!
So we did do this with our shared children a couple of years ago and only got a response back from a similar pre-school to us.
We then had a year with no shared children other than a couple who did their major sessions somewhere else (no communication from those settings) and now are back to shared childcare.
However all but one* of the shared children started their sessions somewhere else and do the majority of sessions there.
We have had no information from the other settings other than a Learning Journey from the child* who started with us first and now does a session with a more local pre-school to them.
So my questions are :
How do you do this?
What has been successful?
Do you use a form?
Do you send out the Learning Journey to other settings?
This is what we have used

Sharing Information sheet for forum.doc

And i think I've actually pinched this from here with adaptations of our logo etc so thank you in advance if you recognise this as yours and how does it work for you?

Thanks

R

Reading this with interest as well - we also are very frustrated at the lack of response from other settings - again childminders are fantastic but other pre-schools and nurseries give us nothing. At our recent inspection I showed the inspector the letter we send to other settings and we now do summary print from tapestry to attach. I mentioned that we had no response from other settings and she actually said what did we do about it? - I was shocked but her advice was that we should 'chase' the other settings - ringing them up or visiting the other setting? When these other settings get outstanding it makes you wonder how 'genuine' their paperwork is?? or am I just being cynical.

After reading this thread I have amended our letter to ask for confirmation of receipt of our letter and will send a sae - although once again its a cost we can't afford.

It is so difficult. We share several children with other playgroups, nurseries and childminders. It is so difficult to keep sending information on a regular basis but equally its frustrating when nothing is sent in return. I am liking the idea of getting together a couple of times a year. Not sure what is the best method to use without increasing work load. I suppose if children doing ok probably there is no contact and as long as each setting knows they can be contacted if needed perhaps thats all we need.

what do people actually want from other settings?

looking for inspiration.

buttercup

Edited by Buttercup

I always send the childrens learning stories to their schools when they leave but this year due to personal issues i was not there at the start of term when i post them....they are still in my office :o i have not had a single school ring and ask for the info! :angry: so i am taking it they don't read them! :blink:

Re: the cost of sending out information. I always email reports, progress check etc to other settings and find that I usually get replies quickly. I then print these off for evidence

I always send the childrens learning stories to their schools when they leave but this year due to personal issues i was not there at the start of term when i post them....they are still in my office :o i have not had a single school ring and ask for the info! :angry: so i am taking it they don't read them! :blink:

:o Oh that's pretty soul destroying :blink:

• Like 1

Oh that's not kind :-(

Mind you two of our feeder schools last year decided they no longer do pre-school visits as home visits are far more informative!!

I have a friend at one of these schools who mentioned a problem with a child and I couldn't help but say well if you'd have come and visited I would've warned you - of course the parents had never said a word to them!

Both of these are Outstanding schools which other schools visit for inspiration and best practice, so I can see schools visiting us will become a thing of the past

I personally think its a backwards step

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)