Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted is coming.....

Ohhh Ofsted is finally coming to inspect our FS in just over 2 weeks time - all hands to the pump. What will the inspector think of us, no indoor toilets or indoor space, everything outside. Now wading through the paperwork to ensure everything is covered. I hope they bring their wellies! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done :D

Just had to ask the stupid question that others might be thinking too.....in this last 8 months of frankly terrible weather....wet, wet and oh wet followed by snow and freezing temperatures....you must have some covered space.....what do you have a big shed or tented type arrangement?

Just curious as I love the idea of the freedom forest schools provide and wondered how you cope with mother nature at its worst or best depending on your perspective :D

well done!!

I'm in Sue's 'curious queue'...and would also like to know if the inspector was all kitted up! :P

xD :lol: xD I had thought about that too - I pictured a lady arriving in a skirt and 'killer' heels! xD Hopefully he/she knew they were visiting a 'Forest group' ........ if not - serves them right for not reading the SEF! ;)xD

The inspector was fairly well wrapped up with walking boots and a glam furry hat - however she was obviously very cold by the end of the session. She did the feedback after just 2 hours!

She did not read our SEF before visiting, its the second inspection we've had since SEF were introduced and neither our indoor setting or the Forest School one was read- however the leader gave it to her when she arrived. However she had researched forest schools.

We don't have a shelter as yet, however this is on our wish list. The children are very well layered up and are generally fine as long as theyre moving. We have just erected a shed which the staff hope to use as a shelter temporarily as well as for storage. We have a fire, blankets, warm food for snack and on the odd extremely cold day we have finished early.

FF

• Like 2

meant to say wet is fine, not a problem as the children are so well waterproofed - its just the cold!

Which brand of clothing are you preferring to use for 'waterproofing' - do you supply or is it a prerequisite that your families supply them on signing up...it all sounds absolutely fascinating and very engaging

Nice of the inspector to spend the time researching Forest schools so she knew the bench marks etc...shame all the time on your SEF wasn't acknowledged by reading it though!

Which brand of clothing are you preferring to use for 'waterproofing' - do you supply or is it a prerequisite that your families supply them on signing up...it all sounds absolutely fascinating and very engaging

Nice of the inspector to spend the time researching Forest schools so she knew the bench marks etc...shame all the time on your SEF wasn't acknowledged by reading it though!

Hi GIngerbread, we do have a spare stock of waterproofs however all of our parents now send their children ready to go in their own waterproofs from home. Each season we give out a suggested kit list with our recommended brands. Our recommendations are purely based on what works best and they have been tried and tested over the last two years.

Our favourite waterproofs are Didrikson (swedish waterproofs) and spotty otters, they are pretty water tight however we do have a stream in the woods and if the children decide to sit down water often finds a way in (thankfully they dont decide to do this very often!). We also recommend neoprene lined wellies - normal wellies are soo cold, neoprene ones keep feet warm and dry quickly too. Our hardest bit of kit to source is gloves that are fairly waterproof, ski gloves tend not to be available for under 4/5 but mittens are rather frustrating when you are busy at Forest School.

HTH

FF

Thanks for that information ForestFlo, very helpful :D

Agree about the glove situation - ours are wearing boxing gloves waterproof mittens but limits their play to gross motor stuff in the very cold weather :(

Hi Forest Flo

Thanks so much for your posts, really interesting.

I bet your littlies are healthy little things...does being out and about in the fresh air keep the germs at bay or is that nonsense?

I bet they sleep well too after a busy day out and about.

What a brilliant learning environment :D

well done you! :1b

I'm very envious, I cant imagine what some of our parents would think of it as the look of horror on their faces somedays when they said' surely you're not going out today?!!' when its been a bit cold. trouble is they drive their child in then dash out of the car and straight into the setting. some dont even bring coats! ( I have spares and we always go out!)

• 2 years later...

Hello, i wondered if you could offer some advice. We are due our Ofsted registration visit for our full day outdoor childcare provision-7.30-6.30 and all we have for indoor space is a yurt with electricity. Any tips on what documents to have prepared would be VERY welcome!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)