Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's voice

Hello Wendy123,

I have found some inspirational information and guidance via the ncb website www.ncb.org.uk/

Links to the Young Children's Voices resource section provides some free lets listen downloads which are well worth referring to in addition to the wealth of other information shared within this site. Hope you and anyone else who is reviewing how children are listened to find this useful.

Edited by milo1

help please! need ideas as regards getting the child's voice as regards the new EYFS requirements ;)

Hi Wendy - not sure if I'm missing the point here - wouldn't be the first time! But I just record things that the children have said in their Learning Journey folders e.g. When engaged in making a super 'textured collage' Fred said "I'm going to put this shiny stuff here and then it will be a pond" :1b

• Like 2

Hi Wendy - not sure if I'm missing the point here - wouldn't be the first time! But I just record things that the children have said in their Learning Journey folders e.g. When engaged in making a super 'textured collage' Fred said "I'm going to put this shiny stuff here and then it will be a pond" :1b

Hi

i think this thread is referring to the child's voice, about interests and other things.

The way i was told during a course was if the child is unable to use their voice or too young, whether it be shyness or they cannot express themselves such as a 2 year old. Alot of settings observe a child when they enter the setting and see what they do e.g. they may study for a while for the most interesting activity or they may go straight to something of interest so we log which activities toys they go straight for and how they play with them, we can then add things to this area to extend the child within the EYFS.

Lynne

Hi

i think this thread is referring to the child's voice, about interests and other things.

The way i was told during a course was if the child is unable to use their voice or too young, whether it be shyness or they cannot express themselves such as a 2 year old. Alot of settings observe a child when they enter the setting and see what they do e.g. they may study for a while for the most interesting activity or they may go straight to something of interest so we log which activities toys they go straight for and how they play with them, we can then add things to this area to extend the child within the EYFS.

Lynne

Ah....right......thanks Lynne - I had missed the point! :blink: xD

Ah....right......thanks Lynne - I had missed the point! :blink: xD

Me too! Oh well, what do I know? I havent set foot in playgroup more than once this term! Bad Chair!! :rolleyes:

Yes, definitely need both things - one way we record children's voice and opinions about activities they have been involved in is to look through their Learning Journey with them during quiet moments (haha) and record what they say when they are looking at photographs of their previous activities. We also do as Sunnyday suggests, when making his ...... Tommy said "......" we may also ask at the end of an activity what the child thought about, it, how much they enjoyed it, or not as the case may be. As well as recording what the children's interests are.

• Like 1

One of my parents filled in the child's voice section in her learning journey, by asking what her child thought about the setting herself!

I added it to here progress summery and thought it was a really good idea.

Food for thought?

I use the Ofsted 20 questions for a children's questionnaire each year to find out what the children think too - this is filled out at home with a parent.

Ah Panders, where did you find these questions? I used them some years ago, and when I went to look for them two years ago they were nowhere to be found - I rang Ofsted, Local Authority, friends... Do you have them somewhere that you would be willing to share. I thought they were a really good format.

Cheers,

Honey

• Like 1

we record the childrens voice in several ways.

Firstly by showing what they like to do or not and how they use the setting in their learning stories/ also in the photographs that are recorded there.

Second throught the comments they make during play which are either recorded for their learning stories or put on the display boards.

Thirdly through discussions with them

Fourthly through the feedback forms from their parents who ask them about pre-school at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a day workshop on the Mosaic approach last week, which is all about a "mosaic" of ways in which you can make sure that the child's voice is heard when making decisions about the environment and resources that you provide for the children. This was run by a trainer from NCB - someone else has already mentioned their resources. As well as chatting to children, you can provide them with other opportunities to contribute their likes/dislikes and to show you what is important to them, for example by giving them a camera and asking them to take pictures of things that they like. If you Google Mosaic approach, some useful stuff should come up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)