Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help with morning routine

Hi all we are in a non pack away setting and since the introduction of two year olds we are finding that the morning routine is too chaotic. The children get bought in all together at 9.15 and their parents bring them to their key table. The parent signs them in on the table and the children do their planning on individual boards with photos.they then do a bit of mark making. Once everyone's in they move of to a mat for signing and show and tell. As you can imagine two year olds don't want to sit and do planning etc so end up wandering around whilst the key person is trying to keep an eye on them, console another child and talk to parents !! Any ideas on how we could change all this for the sanity of all concerned would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

no planning !!!! what does this entail?? and what are the benefits for the children - can they not be signed in and allowed free play - we do this in a pack away setting and finds it gives children time to settle and see what on offer and parents get time to have a chat too or settle them if needed

Hi - totally agree with lashes! :1b

Free play first - worry about anything else that you feel you need to cover later in the session :1b

This is not meant to be 'rude' (promise!) but really can't imagine that 2 yr olds understand never mind actively enjoy 'planning'! :blink: :1b

We have always tried to encorporate high scope and so the planning is literally a laminated sheet that they can velcro 2/3 photos on. Ofsted etc seem to like it and its not really the planning that's a problem I suppose the issue is trying to do too much at once and none of it being done properly !!can I ask what your morning routines are ??

ofsted may like it but do your children - sorry but obviously not and why would they - what is the benefit ?? why do they have to do mark making at the table -

children self register - free play - register time dependant on ages and stages of children - free play - snack - small group work or large activity - play - home

Our children self-register and they then have free play when the arrive.

Once everyone is in we do circle time which is around 5mins doing a register activity (singing, rolling a ball to eachother or something similar) and talking about the day and weather.

They then go back to free play until snack time at around 10:30am and its free play again after snack until story time at 11:45 read to go home at 12.

During free play we do adult led activities and small group work, when a member of staff will take 2/3 children to do a planned activity.

• Like 1

sorry dixonnic - having reread my post that is my opinion and not meant to sound rude but high scope is it really for 2 years old - maybe the setting needs to reflect as the setting has changed by accepting 2 year old - no child plans what they are going to do - they see something they play they don't need to sit down and plan it - skip the plan bit - do the DO but and then review it

Edited by lashes2508

Mine are greeted at the door by yours truly! :1b They enter room where they are also warmly greeted by staff! :1b They self-register if they want to - no pressure - most choose to do so! :1b Free-play then.........during free-play there will be one planned adult-directed activity available - but that's just it 'available' not 'mandatory'....later in the morning we will come together as a 'whole group' for an adult directed activity - this could be anything really depending on the groups needs and/or interests.......

Should add that I don't take 2 year olds - I take from 2.5

HTH :1b

• Like 1

Am/pm sessions

Open doors...

3 year old in

free play

half an hour later 2 year olds (this is due to be changed..so they all start at the same time)

free play /free flow outdoors/snack bar one adult directed activity/tidy up time/song story(or other group activity)

i guess if you want to do plan do review with the 2 year olds i would just be asking them what they want to do...after all that's them planning ;)

• Like 1

freeflow for all 2-4year olds for 3 hours, lunch, free flow for 3 hours. 2 short 10 minute adult led activtities set up if they want to do them, 5 minutes together at the end of morning and afternoon session. Simples!!

sorry, that sounds flippant but sometimes less is more.

we have free play on entering (9.10). children self-register, so we know who's here and straight to play. staff available for chatting to parents that way and calm (-ish!!). and available for settling anyone who is upset. don't do a formal register, just each check visually. have snack bar so hungry children can eat straight away - it fills up very quickly!! freeflow in and out as soon as last parent gone (9.20-ish). group time is 10.50, where we do letters and sounds/count etc. all with key children. rising 3's have a very short carpet time and stay in their room till we're finished. then free play inside only, so all children get sometime inside. story time is 11.45 in key groups with little ones having a very quick story and us longer. we do 2/3 adult activities during week with older. little ones can do if want. all sit at 12.05 and home time 12.10

8:45 Self register by putting a handprint with their name on the board, free play until 9:15 when we come together for the register and a quick 5 minute activity then free play until 11am but during this time we have several adult led activities avaliable for small groups of children and cafe style snack. Then we do a physical activity session and singing and story before home. Off course we also go outside and twice a week use the school hall for PE sessions.

Yep pretty much same as Max321 - they come in, self register (most do) and then free play for the whole session with cafe style snack and a short small group time at end of sessions. We have about equal twos and 3/4 yr olds now and I would not attempt to keep them from getting straight into play - oh and indoor / outdoor access all session too.

Adulst interacting all session and planning / enhancing as we go...

Edited by trekker

• 2 years later...

It could be reading stories, or a maths activity, creative, cooking, making playdough together or our sharing time.

I would consider your learning objectives to why an adult is required for this activity, ie safety, new piece of equipment, or something the children may not have explored or experienced before and the children might need support at first.

We have often had adult led to begin with to set a scene, explore equipment and then it has become child led with the resources for children to freely access. Hope this helps.

Self-registration, free flow, circle time, snack time, free flow & adult led, lunch, free flow & adult led, story, home.

In all my experience leading settings, free flow at the very start of a session is very important to allow settling in time etc before the fun & structure begins! Have a few things out on tables/floor space to choose to begin with (puzzles, mark making, cars etc), but also allow free choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)