Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

new mark making ideas ?

we are trying to think of new exciting mark making ideas in my setting,

we always have out pens,pencils, papers, clipboards, chalk boards, whiteboards,paint, magnetic boards etc

we are having trays of cornflour gloop next week with different mark makingn implements ( plus fingers lol !)

, we use shaving foam on tables...any other fab ( we do like a bit of messy !!) mark making ideas that have been sucessful in your settings ?

wow think you have exhausted most of ours - how about melting down old crayons ( science)and making into circles for children to use - sand trays , we save empty paint squeezy bottles and top up with water for outside to mark make on yard floor- water pistols too are fun - will think some more

• Like 1

wow think you have exhausted most of ours - how about melting down old crayons ( science)and making into circles for children to use - sand trays , we save empty paint squeezy bottles and top up with water for outside to mark make on yard floor- water pistols too are fun - will think some more

oooo.....liking the crayon idea , we have loads and loads of wax crayons ( long story, dont ask :rolleyes: ) we could melt them down , pour different colours into silicone cake cases and make some ' crazy crayons ' !!....love it !

We used cotton buds in paint the other day and the children loved it, also buy some value hair gel and add glitter, this is great for mark making in the tuff spot, then when they have finished and want to wash their hands get them to do handprints with it on black paper before going to the sink!! Salt in a tray interested our boys to mark make.

• Like 2

Do you already do 'floor drawing'?

Huge roll of paper on floor presented with lots of different pens, pencils, crayons........and/or paint if you are feeling brave........if really, really brave - shoes and socks off and trays of paint! xD

• Like 2

What about outdoor mark making - big paint brushes painting the fence and playground

I also have some syphons (v. cheep from the 99p store) and the children mark make with those squirting water (boys v. v. keen on this one)

Masking tape some wallpaper to the playground or indoor floor and have low level mark making for those that like to lie down to mark make

• Like 1

We stuck some paper on the underside of the table and put a blanket and pillows under the table. Children had to crawl under and lie on their backs to write 'under the table'. It was quite a nice thing for the parents to notice that we sometimes shake things up a bit too. We've also taped a pen to a bee-bot and watched the bee-bot do the mark making. Marbles in paint to make trails. Salt and food colouring in a foil lined tray for some 'spacedust mark making'. Home-made mini blank books (made from folding and snipping a piece of A4) for them to fill. And the normal forms, envelopes, white boards, greetings cards, diaries etc in various draws for their access..

At sometime or other i think we have done all of the above :D ::1a but I love the bee bot idea, so nicking that thank you :ph34r: We tape paper to the floor in long narrow strips about 6 inches wide (mm's???? :blink: ) as a track for the trains and the children draw onto that the track and sleepers, other pieces of paper are taped down for stations etc.

We have used pringle tubes with pieces of sugar paper inside and paint and marbles, lid on, shake up and down, always gets a laugh.

Salad spinners, paper and paints, lid on and spin, some lovely art from that.

light sabres being waved about, or wrapping paper tubes with pens taped to them!

glow sticks in the dark making marks in the air.

glitter in small trays and fingers or lolly sticks to write with.

dry coloured sand shaken on to the table and fingers being used to write in the sand.

old fashioned magic slates as well as magna doodle.

Aqua draw mats are forever popular with ours.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

We chalk on the lino floor inside. It's really easy to mop off. The boys love to make massive roads around the nursery and then the cars come out....... oh then we need some trees, and houses beside the road so they decorate cardboard boxes, then we need a farm and all the animals come out and the fields are drawn and it goes on and on.

Love some of these ideas, large scale marble painting with small balls in tuff spot works well with children working as a team to move them around by lifting tray...lots of giggles when they roll over the edge and all around the floor....more mark making..

But a part of me still worries that we teach them that mark making anywhere with anything at 3 is great but when they're still doing it at 13 they'll all be getting ASBO's or even going home and drawing on the walls because we encourage them to do it :/

• Like 3

Guest rainyjaney

I think if they're allowed to do these things at 3,they're less likely to do these things in an ASBO-way when they're 13!!!!

We've also taped a pen to a bee-bot and watched the bee-bot do the mark making.

Thanks for this idea. Introduced it today and the children (especially the boys) thought it was great, getting beebot to make tracks and shapes. EYA commented positively on it as well. Thanks again

Our children love using torches to mark make. In a darkened area they can 'write' letters and words as well as follow straight and curvey lines or make their own patterns. Great for gross motor movements and those little ones who dont like making (physical) mistakes.

i bought the magnetic Gel boards from TTS (A4 size). In the current catalogue they are on P.137. The children draw or write on them and they can rub them to erase. If you hold them up you can see the writing/drawing taking place from the other side (if you know what i mean???) - good for guessing what the letter, shape or picture might be. They are sturdy and are used every day and i have had them for about a year so far.

• Like 1

Hi,

we used ice pops made out of water colour paint and popsicle sticks. The kids loved them outside and it really attracted the boys. Also home made chalk paint and home made chalk in big big sticks!

Kerry

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)