Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pack away setting- storage

We run our playgroup from a village hall and have to share our storage cupboard.

This means that the store cupboard cannot be locked as it needs to be accessed by other users in order to use the tables and chairs.

We then find that our equipment is often used and our things are not put back properly and we end up having to move everything around on a monday morning to get to the stuff we need!

We are also limited on what we can fit in the cupboard as the village hall has a large amount of equipment in the cupboard e.g. an organ, bouncy castle and a fridge!

How do others in pack away setting deal with storage?

Do you keep things at home and take them in as needed and just keep everyday essentials at the setting?

Thanks

we had our own secure storage cupboard.. no one had the key but us and the church as the electricity board was in there and if it tripped someone had to have access.. other place i worked had same but no one else had the key other than the setting...in fact has been the same in every packaway I have worked in... only one was shared and that was under the stage and only drama club used it as well so was not an issue..

We do have our own storage cupboards, however, we have out grown them and now store some equipment in the hall behind screens, our lovely land lords have not moaned about this at all and have accommodated us. I also store an incredible amount of stuff at home in my loft and take in as needed on a seasonal basis - just accumulated so many resources over the years I suppose.

Would your hall committee allow you to erect some partitioning inside the storage cupboard to contain your equipment, maybe even allow you to put a lockable door on it?

Thanks both,

The hall committee are not very helpful or accomodating to be honest. We have looked into moving premises but there is nowhere close by that is suitable.

I think I might have to arrange a meeting with them to try and resolve the issues!

I think I might have to arrange a meeting with them to try and resolve the issues!

That's what i would do.....it may be that they don't really understand your needs.......

Good luck hope you can work something out with them :1b

why don't you have someone from preschool join the hall committee- I am a trustee ( one of 5) and did so on joining the preschool as in our interests too. We are pack away and unfortunately due to the configuration of the building our cupboards are everywhere!! the caretaker ( trustee) was renowned for being a bit cantankerous but we have a good relationship and he just put up hooks for our large safety mats but storage is difficult especially with the amount of resources we have ! our tables and chairs are in the hall with signs that they belong to us and if anyone wishes to use them they make a donation to preschool - we have just ordered our new tables and trolley from Gopak .

My previous setting we shared cupboard for tables and chairs but a photo showing how they should be packed away was put inside of door so everyone had no excuse !!

• Like 2

It is a case of trying to get the VH committee to understand how things have changed over the years regarding early years. Joining the committee can help. Our committee is very much like Dibley...and after 12 years of negotiation and trying to make the village elders understand how things have changed and yes we do need all the equipment, furniture and resources, especially since 2007/2008. Depending on the annually changing Chairman we have been allowed to erect sheds and we now are renting a storage container in the furthest corner of the car park to store our stuff. This is expensive however, and labour intensive as to moving our stuff back and forth, but we are looking to move out in the next couple of years. They might actually appreciate us when we have gone!

• Like 2

Everything is in a shed in the garden for us, only exception is the fridge in the kitchen which we can store in Mon to Fri

Really hate this time of year as bean bags are damp, as are the spare clothes and when it's really cold our anti-bac spray has been known to freeze into a solid block!!

I am a rep on our 'Dibley' style village hall committee too, however as the youngest by along way you do get dragged into other issues to do with them, which I really dont have the time for! If you are a committee run setting and think ure committee take forever to make a decision, then try going to a village hall meeting!!!

Very seasonal things eg Xmas and Easter resources, I have at home in the garage

• Like 1

i have a tardis like cupboard, that only i have access too and a key for. I keep records in here, as well as a small cupboard in the church where i keep other records.

So where do you keep your records?? If your cupboard is shared then this must be a problem

my church is very undertanding and value our needs as at the end of the day we bring in a revenue (all be it not huge) that they otherwise would not have

• 2 months later...

My question sort of goes inline with this old thread.

Because of being packaway and except for 1 small cupboard which houses the snack time things EVERY thing else is stored in a shed in the garden.

Our staff team has just shrunk by 1 person and we are finding it very difficult to get set up in time in a morning - we have 30mins to get hall/toilets/kitchen and garden set up ready for the children.

So how do you do it? I'm after quick ideas - if there is such a thing!!!

For indoors we have eveything indoors in trolleys and the children self choose.The larger equipment like bookcase and large wooden house is also on lockable wheels.We already have the resources put together in a box for a theme or focus activity. It takes about 5 minutes to wheel them all out.The children are very good at tidying up after themselves now.At the start of each term we focus a lot on putting things away after they are used.We have a large group circle time at the start of each session that lasts between 5-10 minutes during which 2 staff members get the garden toys out of the shed.We work on a rotational basis and cover all areas taking into account the needs/interests of the children on that day.I do have the luxury of 2 small cupboards and a large cupboard indoors.I have had to manage in other buildings with very limited space but I have have learnt to throw things away if i don't use them any

more.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)