Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

unusual bruising

My initial thought was maybe it was the imprint of a button? It is hard to know, not having seen the size of the bruise and where it is positioned, and not knowing the age of the child concerned. Although I have to say when my children have fallen heavily asleep against my chest (or wrist, come to that) any marks that have been made by buttons, jewellery or whatever on their faces have quickly disappeared shortly after they've woken up. Sorry, I'm thinking out loud here.

I'd ask yourself some questions as you try to work out what to do next:-

• What is it that worries you especially?
  • How have the parents reacted when asked - is there something about their response that makes you suspicious?
  • Were there answers reasonable in the circumstances: did they seem genuinely puzzled or did they brush off the question?
  • Did they seem concerned that you were asking them about the bruising?
  • What was their demeanour during the conversations you have had with them? Is the appearance of the bruising associated with a period of absence from your setting? Is the child otherwise fit, healthy and happy or have you noticed other signs that not all may be as it seems?

I'd echo what finleysmaid has said. You are obviously concerned enough to ask us here about what we think, but I would be inclined to ring Social Services with detailed information about what you have seen and recorded. Better to ask for advice about how to proceed than to let things drift, especially if you have any real concern that the bruising might not be accidental.

Good luck - you're in an unenviable position but also in a one of considerable power in taking action in order to keep this child safe if your worst fears are confirmed. Let us know how things develop.

• Like 2

This position is a hard one but ear lobes are not usual places for marks and if it has happened 3 times I hope that not only have you noted it down but that you have also noted the parents response.

You could ring your local access centre for hypothetical advise. You dont have to give names just seek their thoughts.

Good luck.

* I just looked up nad read HappyMaz's post. . . sorry I seem to have said similar, but at least we are both suggesting the same!!

• Like 1

Good advice already given... trust your gut instinct, if in doubt make the call for further advice.

Not an easy situation but you'll feel better when you've acted!

Nona

Is there a bruise on both sides of the earlobe? That might indicate it had been pinched or yanked. If it is only on one side, it might be an imprint from something. But as everyone has said, you need to follow your instincts and not be afraid to follow it up. Good luck, I hope the child is ok.

My son had odd marks to his ears that I couldn't fathom only to find out that he'd been spending time with a peg clipped to his ear until it bruised. Why? I never did find out but there could be a innocent answer in your case. However, if as others have said, you are not happy with the responses then it is better to erre on the side of safety and seek advice, I have found the NSPCC very good with hypothetical advice

Yes you must follow your 'gut feeling' but also want to add that I myself currently have two very strange small round bruises on my front shoulders.

Looks like someone has pushed me hard using both index fingers - only each appeared five days apart. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add - mum has served notice and he is due to leave us next week

Make sure you know where he is going and pass on the info....this is a classic way of getting out of difficulties if you are abusing your children. Say you need to pass on his learning journey as you are required to by ofsted. Paperwork can also be marked with a red star (i think....i'll go check this) on the front page.

Rachael - i can only emphasise what others have already said - please let someone know about your concerns whether they are unfounded or not and don't allow the child and family slip under the radar - better to shout if in doubt - then say nothing at all

If the child goes "missing" despite your best efforts to pass information on - your child protection team should still be able to track him down through the funding system when his next placement applies for funding and get something underway. Have courage - talk it through with your Early Years Protection Officer.

• Like 1

Just to add - mum has served notice and he is due to leave us next week

the fact that you have asked and been given different explanations and now this, adds to the worry

Please speak to your safeguarding lead via your advisory team - they have a wealth of advice and experience

Have you spoken to the HV? They often have more background info (and scarily don't always share until asked!)

better would be to ring initial response for advice - scary? yes! over the top? you already have niggles, hence being on here

Be prepared to be asked for names as they often ask to see if the family are 'already known' but don't assume that they'll head in all guns blazing, they do also give advice

If he's already leaving you have nothing to lose (as in losing a customer) and it may just be the info that protects him in the future

please do something whether he stays or goes - if it turns out to be all innocent then the parent should understand you were looking out for him...if there's substance to it, well, enough said

We've have had this several times and the guilt you feel for doing something is awful and gut churning, especially as you think you may be wrong but you are not the expert, you are first line; that's why we have other services - it becomes their call/decision...but the guilt you will feel if you did nothing and something does happen is not worth considering

hope it all turns out for the best

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)